Chapter 1- Sparks

"Just make it through today, like you do every other day." Maine Montgomery thought to herself with a sigh, as she parked her grandmothers car in the school parking lot and flipped down her visor to take a quick glance at her reflection in the mirror. Combing her hand through her blonde hair, to tame the flyaways, she pursed her lips, causing her jade green eyes to squint. It is the last day of school, I am set to graduate in a few days and had plans to spend the summer relaxing, working on her tan and forgetting any and all problems. So why do I feel so out of sorts today, more than normal?

"Maine!" She jumped, as Sara's face appeared in her car window. Her best friend, Sara Watson stood right outside. Maine climbed out of the car, her long legs unfolding as she stood up.

"Sara, you startled me!" She stated, feeling a flash of annoyance, which she quickly masked.

"Sorry, I can't help your so jumpy." Sara grinned, her pale blue eyes crinkling, tilting her head to the side, her auburn curls swaying wildly.

"Let's just go before we're late and get this last day over with." Maine sighed once again,
grabbing her backpack. 

As they walked into the school, her boyfriend, Noah Thomas, came up and kissed her cheek.
"Hey, love."

Maine felt the warmth she alway did when Noah was near, spreading through her as she smiled and looked up into his dark brown eyes. "Hey."

"You ready for the party tonight?" He grinned , dimple flashing on his face.

"Of course we are! End of the year party at the swimming hole! We wouldn't miss it! Right Maine?" Sara exclaimed excitedly, glancing at me.

Maine smiled indulgently at both of them and replied " Of course." They are both so cheerful and happy, good people to be around, not like me, she thought to herself. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw someone across the parking lot staring at her, but when she looked that way no one was there. She shrugged it off, continuing towards the doors of the school, as Sara and Noah chattered over head.

Once inside, the group separated, heading off to their different first periods. The rest of the school day passed for the most part as normal, being as it was the last day there wasn't much if any work to be done. Of course there were the people crying and hugging, like everyone wouldn't see each other at the party tonight or at graduation even.  Maine couldn't seem to get rid of this strange feeling of discontent. By the time the final bell rang, she needed some alone time after all the chatter, heightened emotions and noise of everyone at school all day. Hurrying to her car, stopping to wave at Sara and Noah on the way out, telling them "See you tonight!"

She  walked into her grandma's house after the drive home from school. "Well, my house now too, since I live here now and not with dear old mom and dad, " She thought to herself. "After six months you think I would at least start to consider this home by now." As she dropped her backpack on the floor, her grandma Mimi walked out of the kitchen.

"How was the last day of school, dear?" Mimi asked, wiping her hands on her apron. Mimi was always cooking something.

"It was fine, I am about to head over to Sara's and we are going to the swimming hole after that with some friends, if that is okay?"

"Sure, just be careful, love you." Mimi offers her cheek up for a kiss.

"Always" I promise, kissing her wrinkly cheek. "I love you Mimi."

Running upstairs to change my cell rang. It was Noah.

"Love, would you mind terribly letting me in before I fall off this trellis?"