Chapter 30

By the time Han Seok returned, Solmee's father had long since left, but the after effects of his reappearance to Solmee still lingered. Her eyes were teary, her expression fearful, and Mi Suk was still crying, unable to settle because her mother was so distressed. 

Han Seok tossed the ice creams and hurried over to console the two. He engulfed Solmee and Mi Suk in his arms. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"My father," She sniffled. "I thought he was dead, but he was here, he was right here."

"Are you sure?" He frowns.

"His eyes and voice.. I can't forget them, I know it was him." A tear rolls down her cheek.

 Every time she was close to happiness, and she thought she could finally relax something would happen to tell her otherwise.

Was she really destined to never be happy? Was the universe not going to give her a chance?

"He's going to take everything from me Han Seok, Mom, Vincenzo, you, Mi Suk, he'll take it all away."

"He won't." He reassures her, holding her face in his palms and replying resolutely. "I won't let him. I won't let him take anything from you or hurt you, or Mi Suk and i'll tear him apart if he even dares to try."

Solmee inhales, wiping her eyes and then clutching Mi Suk tightly. "Promise me, promise me you'll protect her, no matter what it takes."

"I promise." He says.

"I promise i'll protect you both."

Solmee closes her eyes, breathing in and out as she calmed herself. Han Seok had took Mi Suk from her, bouncing her in her arms to settle her cries. 

 "I need to let Vincenzo know he's back, before he gets to him." Solmee says finally, once she'd calmed down enough to start thinking properly.

Han Seok nods. "I'll make some calls, find out where your father is and have some people watch him."

Before going to see Vincenzo, they had made the difficult decision to place Mi Suk in someone else's care for the time being. Solmee hated it, and so did Han Seok. They didn't want to spend a moment away from their daughter, they didn't like the thought of her going to sleep without being sung to, and they didn't like the thought of being tucked away in an unfamilair bed with unfamiliar people. 

But it was for the best.

To make it easier on Mi Suk too, they had left her with Daeun, who surely knew how to look after a child since she had two daughters of her own. And Mi Suk was familiar with Daeun too, since she had made frequent visits to check up on Solmee and Mi Suk's health. 

Daeun didn't know the full extent of the situation, but she knew that things were dangerous right now, and promised to take care of Mi Suk so long as Solmee promised she'd return after her business was finished in one piece.

Time was sensitive so they couldn't stay long at Daeun's house, Solmee had kissed her daughter's head, told her to be a good girl and that mommy and daddy would be back soon.

Han Seok had held her, kissing her little face and fingers too and been reluctant to hand her over to Daeun.

It was hard to leave her, especially when they heard Mi Suk start to cry after her they had left the room.

"We're doing the right thing aren't we?" Solmee asks.

Han Seok squeezes her hands, his expression equally as conflicted. "Let's hurry up and end this so we can get back to our daughter."
________________________________________________________________________________