Chapter 50

⚠️Trigger Warning: Mental Health ⚠️
Lizzie's POV:
It's been a week the doctor's says that Y/N's brain scans look perfect it's just a matter of her waking up. They say it's just her body recovering from the trauma that's keeping her like this. They were worried if she was like this for much longer there could be serious deficits in her functions. I walk into Y/N's room and her mom is asleep by her bed. She wakes up as I close the door.
"Hey I brought some coffee," I say smiling.
"Thank you. There's been no change. I keep praying and nothing is working. All I want is for her to wake up and argue with her sister or tell me her plans for the proposal. She's still in there I feel it," she explains as I hand her the cup.
"Me too. Sometimes I close my eyes when I hold her hand and imagine me talking to her on our walk on the first night we met. She's such a good listener. Where does she get her wisdom from? Her way with words?" I inquire.
"I think that's me. People at work refer to me as the next Queen of Bullshit cause I rephrase letters and words for them. I'm glad she uses it to tell you how much she loves you. I never thought I'd see her this happy. She was always self destructive choosing to give her heart to people who would only hurt her. It was her way of punishing herself I think. You know there was a time I didn't think she'd get to her 21st birthday her mental health was so bad that no matter what we did or said nothing changed. She tried therapy, medication everything she could. You know what changed things was Tom. Tom took her for a drive to the hill where they used to sit and drink when they were underage. He told her to sit and listen. He'd written her a eulogy cause that's the way she was heading. It was the first time she really heard what it would be like to lose her from our perspective. After that she did positivity training and she was so proactive in getting better. It was a turning point. She was always a little down that was until she met you. And suddenly she was happier than I thought was possible. You really did save her Lizzie. And I think it'll be you who saves her again," her mom informs me.
"She never told me that. I hope I can bring her back. I can't lose her," I mumble tearily.
"You will Lizzie I'm sure of it. I'm going to go back to the hotel and check on her sister. Let me know if anything happens," she requests.
"Of course I will," I assure her squeezing her hand.
"Thank you Lizzie. She's so lucky to have you," she says cupping my face.
"She's lucky to have you too."

I sit with Y/N while her mom is gone. Tom arrives smiling sadly. We haven't spoken a word to each other we just couldn't. It hurt too much to speak to him because we knew how much she meant to both of us. He was hurting I could see it behind his eyes he wanted to talk so I made the first move.
"Tom," I say taking his hand.
"Don't Lizzie. I can't," he pleads trying to hold back the tears.
"Keeping it all inside is not good for you Tom. I've spoken to her mom and Scarlett. You need to talk to someone if not me then anyone," I beg him.
"I do," he yells.
"Who?" I query.
"Y/N. I sit here during my shift and I talk to her I tell her all the shit I'm too scared to say to you because you'll break down. You and her mum are dealing with your own hurt I am not adding to that. I'm meant to be strong for all of you. That's what Y/N would want but the truth is I can't handle this. She is the only person on this planet that knows me down to my core who knows every mistake and silly thing
that I've ever done. You're her person but she's mine. Not romantically but she gets me in a way no one else has. That why I tried so hard to get you back together because I know her just as well. And because she's my person she deserves to have her person. I knew it was you from the first time you were able to stop her panic attack. No one not even me is that effective at calming her down," he explains still holding back those tears.
"I'm sorry Tom. I didn't know," I apologise.
"That's the thing. I was so happy that Y/N had you because she was so happy but," he starts.
"But what?" I question.
"I already kind of lost her. I know it's selfish but when she comes home I don't get to spend time with her all her focus is on you. The last time I actually hung out with her just us was when Scarlett broke up with her that's how long it's been. I feel like I don't even know how she's doing anymore. We've drifted," Tom sighs.
"Are you saying this is my fault?"

The heart rate monitor starts beeping loudly and the nurses come rushing in.
"What's happening?" I ask they ignore me.
"You need to leave," they instruct as one nurse escorts Tom and I out. This isn't happening. Tom holds me tightly.
"I've got to call her mom Tom," I sigh.
"No I'll do it ok," he assures me.
"Ok." The next few minutes are a blur until the doctor comes out.

"Miss Olsen," she starts.
"Yes?" I ask nervously.
"She's awake."