Chapter 8

"Fourth of July" by Sufjan Stevens

Her alarm went off ten minutes before she would be picked up. Chaeyoung usually stays in bed until it's time to go but this time she got up and changed into a different sweater and jeans than the ones she usually wears. It was a cold and windy day just like Mina had said so. This time she wore her navy blue converse and lightly brushed her hair down.

The second she stepped out the door, Mina's car had arrived and a light smile came to her face at the sight. It had hit her before the cold weather. She walked with small steps down her driveway then into the older one's car greeting each other good morning. That was the first time in years anyone had said good morning to her.

"I got you coffee" Mina chimed, "I didn't know how you would like it so I got some sugar and cream... a lot of sugar and cream. I also got a cup of ice in case you also preferred it with it"

Chaeyoung rarely ever had coffee, although she had never had it with ice she would use it just because the older one had gotten it for her. Mina didn't drive off until the girl had prepared her cup of coffee and comfortably positioned herself.

"Thanks" she muttered after taking a sip, "It's good"

"I sure hope so" Mina softly laughed, "I actually, I don't know why I chose to pick you up so early"

The girl hummed not knowing how to respond. It made Mina regret saying too much. After yesterday she felt more comfortable with the girl but was now afraid she would still be distant like from the beginning. Mina had gone home and laid down thinking about Chaeyoung and why she felt the certain way she did. Though she refused to make any conclusion, what she knew for sure was that she wanted to have fun with her.

Ring ring ring

Chaeyoung picked up her phone with a sigh after reading the caller's name.

"I'm here" Jimin said on the other side of the phone.

"I got a ride. I told you"

"Oh" the boy already knew who had picked her up. Deep inside of him an angered feeling began to build up towards the one who kept spending time with Chaeyoung instead of him, "Can I take you back home?"

The girl looked over at Mina who looked endearing while driving, "I don't think so. See you there" she hung up.

"Jimin?" Asked the older one.

Chaeyoung nodded, "Yeah"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know he was planning on picking you up"

The girl turned to look at Mina and shook her head, "No, this is better. Thank you"

Much better.

She didn't want to butt into the girl's business. Mina had heard everything yesterday and felt the need to help her. Something in her went against Jimin kissing her but a bigger part of her wanted the girl to talk to her about it, trust her with what had happened.

They arrived and sat in Mina's car drinking iced coffee while enjoying the heater. The weather became colder by the day and Chaeyoung couldn't be more glad to wear the necessary layers.

A knock on Mina's car window suddenly startled them both. It was Ryujin signaling for the window to be rolled down.

"You get me some coffee?" She asked looking into the car on her tippy toes.

Mina looked around as if a cup of coffee would appear out of nowhere, "Mmm no, sorry. You don't even like coffee"

"I know. Let's go inside, it's cold"