EPILOGUE

Amaryllis Lexington
****

You know that glow you get from being happily, or should I say sappily in love? Yup. I was sporting that glow, in spades if I may add.

I knew spending midterms with my folks back in Halloway would be crazy fun, it paled in comparison to spending midterms with Carlson! He spent about a week in Halloway and we had the most fun in the world. I took him on a tour of our small city and he fell in love with it totally.

I spent half of my days in his company. I wished mum would have invited him to stay in our guest room throughout his stay, but I was quite grateful she didn't because that temptation would have been too much to handle. Hah, there's so much a girl can take.

When he left, I felt like packing my bags and going with him, but I had to see the holiday through with my parents here. I had never been happier to arrive at Lakeview.

Dad and mum came to pick me up and they hugged me till I turned red in the face, but I honestly didn't mind. Staying in Halloway made me realize there was room in my heart to love my two separate parents in different ways but in crazy measures.

When I arrived at home, I was yet to set foot out of the car when Allison came rushing out. She had dyed her red hair black. I knew black hair looked good with green eyes, yeah, but I wasn't expecting her to look this good. It felt illegal somehow.

"I was low-key hoping you'd realize you liked Halloway a lot and you would stay back." Although she tried to sound hard, I recognized the humor undertone and I raised my brow defiantly with a smirk.

I missed having someone to go back and forth with. Carmel definitely didn't give me the satisfaction when I ran into her because she suddenly sucked up to me, making me feel like I imagined all the times she was mean to me. Rose says it's because of the guy I was walking hand-in-hand with when we met. I didn't have it in me to disagree. Carlson could make the devil become best friends with you.

"And deprive you of having someone to make you feel bad about yourself? Nah, wouldn't pass up the chance." I guess our parents kinda gave up on interfering when we bickered because they just chuckled and shook their heads.

The normal thing to do would have been to rush into each other's arms and hug like our lives depended on it, but I just couldn't picture that happening with Allison. We were cool, yes, but that was on another level entirely.

"I knew I missed your presence for a reason." She grinned and surprised me by opening her arms. To say I was stunned would have been an understatement. I was just walking into the hug when she gave me the 'hol' up' look and I swallowed with slight embarrassment.

"Someone must be feeling quite needy this afternoon. Didn't Carlson give you all the hug you could ever need? I know I'm irresistible and all, but you need to tone it down. I was just practicing what it would be like to actually want to hug you." Ouch.

"I kinda don't like you right now." I rolled my eyes at her and we walked inside together. My other sister was standing by the stairs, staring at me like she couldn't believe I was still alive. When she saw mum coming around, she jumped on me and wrapped her arms around me.

"Goodness, Amari. You've grown so thin. We need to fatten you up. What have they been feeding you down there?" She tried to sound sweet, but every word that fell out of her mouth was so condescending.