Chapter Four

Carlson Hawthorne

"Good morning, Mister Hawthorne. Your breakfast has been served." I dismissed Joey with a raise of my hand, not looking up from the files opened before me. I cursed the day I officially turned eighteen and the duties of acting CEO were conferred on me. I couldn't believe I was wasting away my youth just because my mother was too much of a coward to get her shit together and woman up.

I rubbed my temple with my index finger and closed the file. I still had to get to school anyway. I got out of my father's study, gently shutting the door behind me. As much as I hated working, the fact that one day dad would wake up and be proud of all the effort I put in kept me going. I didn't want him to wake up to realize that his wife was too broken by his sickness, that she turned into a shell of a woman and left everything he built in the cold hands of damnation. Sometimes, I felt bad for her and sometimes (most times), I loathed her with all of my heart.

Her cowardness was not only affecting her, but it was also taking my life from me too. Just thinking about her ruined my appetite and I found myself eating just of a bit of what I was served.

"Carlson, you aren't eating. You did this same thing yesterday and now, you're repeating it. Do you want to get sick?" Mrs. Duran, Nana as I call her, said with a worry laced voice. This had to be the only person, apart from my dad, who saw me as someone who should be taken care of, and not someone who had his whole life under control and has to make the world a merry go round.

"It's alright, Nana. When I get to school, the boys and I will grab something to eat." She knew me too well to argue with me, so she dropped it. I got into my personal car, a jet black lykan hypersport, and zoomed off. As much as I hated the attention that came with being wealthy, I had to admit that I loved the comfort that it brings. I couldn't imagine a life where I didn't have what I wanted at the snap of my fingers. I would be considered arrogant by most people, but I don't think I am. I just know what I have and I use it to get what I want. Isn't that the sole purpose of acquiring things?

"Bro, have you checked out social Slam this morning?" were the first words Dave greeted me with.

"And?" I replied nonchalantly. I knew damn well what was on the stupid blog. The same blog that ruin lives and make some. Not like the blog had anything on me anyway, I tend to keep drama out of my life and the remaining part of my life remains private. Like my mother.

"Come on, dude. Don't tell me you're not bugged by this news. This girl is going to destroy your girlfriend's reputation!" I groaned. He was starting to sound like Joey, my PA.

"Allison can handle her business. I don't see how that has anything to do with me, and for the umpteenth time, she's not my girlfriend." If only I knew the mystery person behind the stupid blog, I would pay whatever amount demanded by the person just for that vital piece of information to be put out there.

"Don't let her hear you say that, bro. You know she bites." I had to chuckle at that. Allison might be the prettiest girl on the face of the planet, but she was just about as evil too. Whenever she wants something, she stops at nothing to get it and whoever comes in her way, she would tear down with her perfectly manicured fingers.

"So, we are carpooling to the event. Might as well tell Diego not to drive you today. Will pick you up by seven." We strolled to class, ignoring the looks that everyone was giving us. I was already used to it but I won't deny that it made me feel good sometimes. Holding the scepter of power was not something to be taken lightly in this school. It makes me untouchable.