Chapter Seventeen

Amaryllis Lexington
*****

"Wow. No offence to your sister, but she kinda sounds like a really bad person. Why would she stop talking to you just because hugged her ex-not-boyfriend." Rose made a face when I told her everything that happened and I laughed.

"I don't know, Rose. A part of me wants to apologise for doing that, but a greater part of me is just really pissed. I mean, I thought we were getting along just fine and then you stop talking to me because of a guy."

"Why should you apologize? You've done nothing wrong, girl. She should be the one to tell you she's sorry for being a bad friend/sister. Your parents sure know how to pick their girls." Her mischievous laughter floated into my ears and I found myself chuckling too. She wasn't lying anyway. Allison's nothing to write home about and now, Maya has been ignoring me for days.

I watched her carry her laptop and make her way up the stairs, into her room. As I watched the familiar house through the screen, I felt a pang of sadness and homesickness. I would do anything to be in Halloway right now, away from all these drama.

"Let's do something fun. I miss us hanging out at cafes and talking about anything that catches our eye. So, why don't you dress up and go to a cafe and I'll do the same, then we can video call." A wide grin appeared on my face when she said that and I found myself jumping out of the bed so I could get dressed.

I pulled on a dark blue skinny jeans and paired it with a white round neck tee. I debated between wearing sandals or sneakers, then I decided to go with the latter. I brushed my hair and let it fall freely behind me. As the hair cascaded over my back, I remembered the way Carlson pushed it over my shoulder just so he could see my tattoo.

A ghost of a smile appeared on my face as I recalled how his hand traced the ink etched on the back of my neck. On impulse, I pulled my hair into a messy bun, allowing the tattoo to see the light of day.

I walked back to the laptop and saw the back view of Rose. She  was sitting in front of her vanity mirror and I could tell she was applying mascara thanks to her hand movement.

"I'll call you when I get to the cafe alright?" I said and hung up after she responded with an 'alright'. As I walked out of the house, I realized I had a major problem. Transportation.

Thanks to the fact that everyone who lives in this neighborhood would never ever be caught dead taking a cab, there was none in sight. I couldn't ask Maya for a ride seeing as she was pretending I didn't exist and Allison would only ever give my lifeless body a ride... Actually,  I doubt she would allow my lifeless body into her car.

"Heading somewhere, ma'am?" I heard someone cut into my thoughts and I snapped back to reality to find dad's chauffeur had parked in front of me.

"Oh, yes Sir. I was just about to head to Mickies but I can't seem to find any cab in sight." His jaw dropped as if I had just told him I was going shopping for human parts.

"You can't find a cab here, ma'am. Please get in the car, I'll drop you off. I still have enough time before I go and get Mr. Lexington from the office." I happily jumped in the car before he mysteriously gets a strange phone call and he has to leave.

"Thank you so much, Sir."

"It is my job, ma'am, and please call me John. Sir feels awkward coming from you." He chuckled slightly and I knew he's someone I would get along with very well.

"I'll call you John if you call me Amaryllis." Our eyes met in the mirror and I could see the restraint in his eyes. I offered a small smile that told him I meant business.