Twenty-Nine

Carlson Hawthorne
-------

"It's not looking good, Sir." Joey said as we rounded up the millionth meeting we've had ever since the article came out a week ago.

I massaged my temple as I relaxed into my chair, my mind going over a lot of things, but only one managed to make my already horrible mood even worse.

Amaryllis Lexington.

It's been seven agonizing days since she shut the door in my face and walked away, without a single explaination. As much as a part of me wanted to believe that she walked away because she was hurt that I didn't trust her, the logical part kept screaming in my face that she walked away because she was too cowardly to own up to her actions.

The crazy thing, however, is that I am dying to see her, talk to her, and hold her. Heaven knows I miss her badly but the disappointment and the hurt just blocks me everytime I want to reach out to her. Plus, I've been swamped in so much board meetings just because I was trying to rectify the mess she made.

"I think you should head home and get some rest. We have three interviews tomorrow, starting as early as six-thirty." Joey adviced and I couldn't be more than happy to oblige, but I knew it wasn't possible. My head felt like it was going to explode, should I not get at least four hours of sleep tonight. I've been operating on ten hours of sleep for the week and it's taking it's toll on me.

"Resting is the last thing on my to-do list right now, Joey. I feel like if I close my eyes, everything will come crashing down instantly. Those guys are digging deep and trying to draw blood, and we have to be on top of our game if we want to salvage most of our shareholders."

The stress I was feeling inside was evident on his face, and I felt really bad for him. If only I had shut my mouth and kept my sad story to myself without confiding in Amaryllis, then we wouldn't be in such a fix. The innocent look on her could fool anyone. Heck, it almost fooled me. I was a step away from apologizing for calling her out on such actions until she ran away. Why else would she run if not because of guilt? If not because she was trying to play the victim. Although, that didn't sound like Amaryllis, but people can be quite complex and misleading.

"Yet you went ahead and fell in love with her. You've known her for what? Five days?" My subconscious mocked me and I ran a hand through my hair. How could I have been so gullible? Love never came easy for me and the first time I finally decided to give it a shot, I fell really hard and really fast, but unfortunately, it was for the wrong person.

"You really should head home. You've barely had a goodnight sleep. You've been shuffling meetings with your midterms, and now that you're done with your tests, you should use that time to rest. We'll pick up from where we left off in the morning." The advice seemed logical enough, plus my brain was just a sleepless night away from giving up.

On my ride home, I decided to take a quick detour to David's house. Although he could be really annoying and crazy, he is always everyone's go to person for the best advice ever, and I'm in desperate need of one right now.

I was just about to push the door of his house open when Sierra walked out, her face flushed and her eyes were red-rimmed. A low whistle escaped my mouth before I could even help it. Her tear glazed eyes shot up at me, widening in surprise. David has so much explaining to do.

"Carl. I was just leaving, I'll see you later." She said and ran off without looking back, not even giving me an opportunity to respond to her greeting or ask her why she looked like a wreck. I walked through the open door and saw David standing at the end of the stairs, his expression blank. One would think he would have some sort of disturbed look but he looked so casual, I almost thought I imagined the look on Sierra's face.