Chapter Nine

Amaryllis Lexington
****

"I hate Tuesdays." Maya sighed as she buttoned her shirt. She was looking really cute and simple in her shirt dress and skinny jeans. I used to think rich people would always wear faux fur jackets and blings everywhere they go, but Newark proved me wrong. They knew the whole world knew they were rich, so they dressed like they didn't have to prove it. Even Allison, in all her pettiness and vainess wears skinny jeans and hoodies, but they cost more than a limb.

"Why?" I asked, staring at her face which was scrunched up in a frown. I couldn't help but wonder what Tuesdays did to her. Not like I liked Tuesdays myself. Well, in my defense I hated every day of the week except weekends.

"I share all my classes today with a group of people I happen to really hate." Her eyes filled with so much anger, and I felt like I knew who she was referring to. The look only appears in her eyes when there's a mention of the despicable five.

"Hawthorne and his friends?" She nodded, rolling her eyes before turning to face the mirror. Hold up! Maya and I have the same schedule, and that means I share all my classes with those five! Yay me....not.

"Why do you hate them so much? I mean, from what I've experienced with Carlson, he's not exactly a nice person, but you hate them way too much. Do you guys have like some past story?" I asked and she froze. She was trying to fix her hair into a ponytail, but her hands stopped half way. I didn't need any other confirmation.

"It's alright if you don't want to talk about it. I won't push." I reassured her, then decided to reduce the tension that was beginning to build up around us, "chop chop, if we don't get going now or we'll get late."

"I'm done." She finally secured her ponytail, and grabbed her bag. She trailed after me as we exited the room. On our way out, I saw mum at the dining table, so we took a quick detour.

"My darling girls. How are you?" She beamed when she sighted us. She hugged me like her life depended on it, and it made me really warm and fuzzy on the inside.

"Fine, mum. How are you? And where's dad? I didn't see him throughout yesterday." Maya complained. Actually, Maya is more of a daddy's girl than a mummy's girl. I still don't know where I stand, but I'm very much comfortable with this level of affection they were showering me with.

"You know your dad, Maya. He's always working, but he'll be around for dinner tonight. Girls, your dad told me to give you some money so you can go shopping for anything you might need." My ears perked up at the money part.

"We have more than enough clothes already, mum. Just save it for us, alright?" Maya dismissed and my eyes doubled the size of saucers. I debated between being respectable and agreeing with Maya or being myself and saying clothes are never enough. Myself won.

"Haha. Speak for yourself, Maya. Rule 101 of being a girl; Clothes are never enough." Mum laughed at that, and she nodded her head in approval.

"That was the exact same thing Allison said when I complained about her getting too much clothes. You and Allison are so alike." Say. What. Now? Ewww. Bleh. Yuck.

"Eww. No, we're not." I rejected it ASAP and Maya chuckled slightly beside me. Worry clouded mum's eyes and I knew I had blown it already. How would she feel if she realizes her biological daughter hates the guts of her favorite daughter.