Chapter Seven

Amaryllis Lexington
*****

"If you don't get in here in five minutes, I promise you I'll leave without you." Maya yelled as she walked out the door, leaving me at the kitchen sink. I had declined Lorraine's, the kitchen maid, help when she wanted to help me to wash my cereal bowl.

"Relax, woman." I yelled back but I had the door closing, so she probably didn't hear me. I wiped my hands and turned to leave when I met with a sight that made me mentally roll my eyes. Great, just when I wanted today to start on a good note.

"We don't yell around here, slum girl. This isn't where you grew up in, you know. Here, we are dignified and refined. We speak with class and not that rickety language of yours." Allison snarled and I sighed. God, I know I told you I would be nice and I will keep my tongue in check, but I can't only do that if Allison magically turns to smoke and disappears.

"And I bet you would be living in that slum or maybe somewhere even worse if my parents didn't have mercy on you and take you in. Get this straight, Allison or whatever it is you call yourself, I am not someone who is going to cower at the sight of you and run into hiding just because you are around. In all honesty, you don't scare me. Actually,  I feel really bad for you." Her eyes widened and I smirked then continued.

"Yeah, I do. You have worked your whole life to be accepted by my parents and I'm very happy for you. I should be the one pushing you around and trying to drag that spot with you, but you don't see me doing that, and you know why? I have something you lack. It's called dignity. If I'm going to win the hearts of mum and dad, I won't do it by making another person feel lesser than a trash bag, rather I'll work on improving myself." I tapped her shoulder and sidestepped her.

"You should take lessons from the boss, Allison. And in case you missed it, that boss, is me." I ended with that and walked away, hoping Maya hadn't left me. I felt quite satisfied with the response I gave Allison but I know better. She wouldn't listen. They never listen until they finally hit something that will make them regret every decision they've made since they decided to take up the lifestyle of a bully. I hated the lots of them!

"You better thank your stars I like you, else I would have left without you." Maya said immediately I got into her car. I laughed and rolled my eyes. She allowed me to wear my seatbelt before she zoomed out of the driveway.

"Why didn't you let mum take you to the car shop? You do realize they are more than capable of getting you any car you want, right?" I laughed at Maya's question. Everyone at the dining table had been shocked when I told the folks I didn't want to go to the car shop because I didn't want a car.

"I don't know how to drive, Maya. I said it like a million times during dinner yesterday. You don't believe me?" She looked away from the road and stared me for a while, then slowly shook her head.

"It's not that I don't believe you. It's just...I don't know...it's kinda strange. Everyone our age learns how to drive faster than they can even construct a good sentence in English because they want to be able to cruise around in the best of the best and oppress everyone." She chuckled slightly.

"Yeah. Everyone with that kind of privilege. There was no point learning how to drive because I knew we wouldn't be able to afford another car. Mum and Dad already spent so much on their cars and it would be unfair to bug them with another kind of expense. So, even when there was an opportunity to learn, I didn't take it." She had that sad look I really hated in her eyes, but I wasn't mad at her. I knew she meant well.