twenty three

everyone packed their things the next morning and loaded them into mark's car. the journey back would only take an hour as donghyuck's parents didn't live too far away. 

once everything was in the car, they all climbed into mark's car. donghyuck and mark sat in the front with changbin, felix and ten in the middle and jeno and jaemin in the very back. it was still early when they left so the ride was quiet. jeno, changbin and donghyuck ended up falling asleep for the whole journey while the others went on their phone or listened to music.

mark dropped everyone to their home except for donghyuck and jeno since they lived in the same apartment building. they all said goodbye to each other before donghyuck and mark went into donghyuck's apartment while jeno went back to his to spend his day relaxing.

meanwhile, jaemin was back at the all too familiar dark building.

"where's taeyong and jisung?" he asked chenle and chenle pointed him towards taeyong's office. jaemin headed over and knocked on the door before entering. taeyong lifted his head and smiled once he saw who it was.

"jaemin, nice to see you again."

"nice to see you too, can you call jisung down here?" taeyong nodded while jaemin took a seat in front of taeyong's desk. taeyong picked up his phone and dialled jisung's number, telling him to go to his office immediately. jisung arrived a few moments later and poked his head around the door.

"you asked to see me? oh, hello jaemin." jisung fully entered the room and sat next to jaemin.

"i want to know what you've found out about huang renjun." jaemin looked between taeyong and jisung. taeyong nodded and opened one of the drawers of his desk, pulling out a file. helaid it on the desk and pushed it towards jaemin.

"he's part of our rival gang, wayv. the man you killed, xiaojun, was also an ex member of the gang. you're lucky he left a couple of years ago or you could be dead by now." jaemin snorted and raised an eyebrow as he opened the files.

"taeyong, you underestimate me." 

taeyong nodded and looked at jisung, signalling for him to continue.

"we believe he's here to find us." jaemin stopped looking through the files and looked at jisung.

"why would he want to find us?" 

"because like taeyong said, we're their rival gang and we have been for decades. chenle and lucas are also ex members but renjun joined after they left and his gang don't know that they now work for us but they know that chenle and lucas do work for a gang here. if they find either of them, they'll more than likely kill them. that's why i'd also like to ask you if it's okay for lucas to stop watching jeno with johnny. we'll send jungwoo instead, it just isn't safe for lucas to be out right now."

jaemin nodded in agreement.

"don't let renjun know you're part of us. that will risk not only yours, but jeno's safety. we all know jeno is one of the only people on this earth who you care about, do not risk it jaemin." taeyong spoke sternly and jaemin nodded again.

"is that all you've got?" jaemin asked, pushing the files back towards taeyong.

"for now, yes. i'll have jisung call you as soon as we find more. johnny and jungwoo will be watching jeno but you should keep an eye on him too."

jaemin nodded again and thanked the two boys before leaving his office. he smiled and waved at chenle before heading back home, processing all the new information.