thirty three

a/n: i recommend listening to 1 to 10 by day6 while reading this chapter ! (especially the bridge and chorus)

"jeno! oh my god, i'm sorry we took so long." the door burst open and donghyuck ran inside with wide eyes, his hair all over the place and tear stains on his cheeks. jeno jumped in surprise, having been in a deep slumber right before donghyuck came in. jaemin immediately pulled jeno closer to him and pulled out a gun, aiming it at donghyuck.

jeno's eyes widened and he looked at jaemin, slowly putting an arm on his shoulder. 

"j-jaemin, what are you doing?"

jaemin ignored him and jeno felt himself shaking a bit when he met jaemin's eyes. jaemin wasn't looking at him, he was staring at donghyuck with no emotion present in his eyes and his gun was aimed right at the older's heart.

"jeno, i told you not to trust him." tears started streaming down donghyuck's face, washing away the old tear stains. jeno looked at donghyuck and his heart felt heavy, like it would stop beating any second.

"how do you expect me to trust you and renjun when you're the reason i'm here?" jeno's voice cracked as his eyes started to water, making donghyuck let out a choked sob.

"jeno, jaemin is the reason-"

"i'd shut your mouth if i were you, one shot and you're fucking dead." jaemin spoke with a monotone voice, not taking his eyes off of donghyuck.

donghyuck ignored the younger, keeping his eyes on jeno and jaemin's hand around jeno's waist. 

"we never lied to you jeno, i swear. we've been best friends for years, what makes you think i'd want you to end up like this?" jeno looked at jaemin, looking for any sign of a reaction.

"jaemin, were they right the whole time?"

finally, jaemin turned his head to look at jeno. jeno hoped his eyes would soften or he'd stop furrowing his eyebrows or maybe even give him a small smile.

but no, nothing.

"that's not relevant, what's relevant is i'm the one who protected you, i'm the one who loved you, i'm the one who was there for you. where were those fuckers for the last couple of months? i'm the only one who loves you, they don't care jeno." jaemin's voice raised more and more as he spoke.

"he's right, hyuck." jeno shook his head, wiping his tears but they kept coming.

"he's right because we couldn't fucking get to you, he did everything he could to stop us." donghyuck ran a hand through his hair, sniffling.

"jeno, he's the one who couldn't care less about you. you're not a person to him, you're an object he thinks he can contro-"

the deafening sound of a gunshot cut donghyuck off and jeno screamed, trying to escape jaemin's grasp to run to his best friend but jaemin refused to let go.

"jaemin let go, are you fucking insane?" jeno yelled, trying to pry jaemin's hands off of him.

jaemin chuckled and shrugged. "i guess you could say that, yeah."

jeno's eyes were about to pop out of their sockets at this point as he saw a whole new side of jaemin he had never seen before. he almost forgot about donghyuck as he stared at jaemin, shocked and heart broken, but the sound of sirens brought him back to reality.

he swung his hand back and slapped jaemin, surprising the younger enough for him to let go of jeno for a second. jeno quickly stood up and sprinted to his best friend, collapsing to the floor next to him. he searched all over the younger's body for the wound, leaving the heart till last as he didn't want to believe it was there. when he found no would, he let out a sob and moved donghyuck's hand from his chest to check.