thirty four

"thank you sir, have a nice day."

jeno smiled at the customer and his smiled widened when he saw the next person in line.

"good morning jihyo! i assume you want your usual?" jeno asked, already grabbing the coffee cup and handing it to felix.

"you know it." jihyo laughed and leaned against the counter.

"so, today's the day, huh?" jihyo's voice turned more serious but still soft. it was something jeno loved about her, she had such a motherly aura.

"today's the day." jeno sighed and jihyo frowned, reaching out a hand to ruffle jeno's now black hair.

"how are you doing, honey?"

"i'm better, therapy is really helping and of course you guys have helped me so much. i really don't deserve them after how i treated them." jeno glanced back at his friends as he said the last part. they were all laughing, arguing over how much caramel to put in a caramel frappé.

"don't say that, none of it was your fault." jihyo frowned and jeno nodded, giving her a smile.

"don't worry about me, i'm feeling a lot better, i promise." jihyo nodded and patted jeno's shoulder. right at that moment, donghyuck brought her coffee over.

"an espresso for miss park." donghyuck winked and jihyo laughed, shaking her head.

"thank you, hyuck and thank you jeno." jihyo paid and waved as she left their bakery with her usual comforting smile.

felix glanced over his shoulder and rolled his eyes when he saw jeno cleaning the counter. 

"go take a break, you've been working nonstop for hours."

jeno shook his head. "it's okay, i don't need a break yet."

"seriously, go take a break." felix grabbed the coffee that ten had just made and shoved it into jeno's hands, earning a glare from ten.

jeno sighed but gave felix a grateful smile. "alright, i'll be back in a few minutes."

"i better not see you out here for at least an hour, lee." felix yelled as jeno entered the break room and shoved donghyuck, gesturing for him to go with jeno.

the two sat on the couch and drank their coffees, making small talk. it wasn't the awkward kind of small talk, it was more the best friend kind of small talk. the tv in the break room was already on and jeno sighed when the news channel turned on.

"serial killer and gang leader, na jaemin has been given the death sentence and is set to be given the lethal injection today just a few minutes from now. his known victims are xiao dejun, lee minhyuk, hwang yeji and many more victims that have yet to be found. survivors of na jaemin include lee jeno and lee donghyuck. both escaped the killer and were his last victims. unfortunately donghyuck was shot but fortunately survived."

"shit, i forgot that's today." donghyuck shook his head, putting his coffee on the table. jeno didn't reply and just stared at the tv screen.

"are you okay, jen?" donghyuck wrapped an arm around jeno, worried for his best friend.

jeno remained silent for a few moments before turning to donghyuck with a small smile.

"yeah, i think i am."

a/n: if you have any questions about me or this book, feel free to leave them here ! <3