13. The Only Brother

Music for the Chapter: Kaisi Paheli Zindagani by Sunidhi Chauhan from Parineeta

I went right up to my cabin. I saw a boy sitting in the living area. He was sitting with his legs crossed and in the Padmasana yoga pose.

"You give off an aura of being disturbed." He commended. I went ahead to see who he was. I came across a boy who was almost around the same age as me. His features were really handsome. A few of his features resembled mine. He opened his eyes and looked at me. He was so serene and calm. He was one of the most beautiful boys I had seen. No. Handsome didn't make the cut. He was beautiful. Curly hair like mine. He wore a beautiful red dhoti with gold and green borders. He wore jewellery. He was built like those models in fashion magazines.

"Because I am" I answered.

"You look a lot like maa." He answered with a smile.

"Maa?" I was confused.

"My mother."

"I'm sorry but I haven't quite recognized you."

He laughed. "Sastha. There are several other names I have as well but my mother calls me Sastha."

I realized he was my brother. A specific realization occurred to me at that moment. He was Ayyappa. A God by his own standards. Nothing like the gods of swarga. He could be called a God with a capital G. Son of Vishnu and Shiva. The one who was born to defeat Mahishi. One of the most famous Gods in the southern part of India. Manikantha. My half-brother by that relation.

"I'm sorry. I..." I didn't know what to say. He noticed the earring and smiled.

"I see you like the earrings."

"Yes. They're really pretty. I like the dhoti too. Though it took me a while to learn how to wrap it." I chuckled. "Hi..." I felt a doubt. What would be the good idea to greet a God who is also your brother? A pranam? But wouldn't that be a little too formal? Maybe a high-five? Would that be a little too informal?

He chuckled. "Generally, a sister often greets her brother with a hug. Regardless of whether they are Godly or not. Family relationships are not bound by guidelines of godly conduct."

I instantly went and hugged him. He hugged me back. It was a really soft feeling. Like being protected. He patted my head affectionately. The only brother affection I knew came from Harsh. Yet, bhaiya felt different altogether. 

"I'm quite glad you came."

"I had to. My baby sister is here. I wanted to come early but got stuck up with duties. We're all bound to duty. For ages, Asuras keep coming up to disturb humans and we have to take care of that. Down in the south, Kartikeya and I share the responsibility. So, I asked him if he could manage alone for a few days so I can come to visit you."

"That was really sweet of you. I know it must have been difficult for you to leave your work and come all the way here in the Himalayas to meet me."