23. Aghori

Music for the Chapter: Tarkeebein by Benny Dayal from Band Baja Baaraat

When I was younger, I used to own a cat. Boy, his zoomies would drive Nana insane. He would be up, doing his regular rituals before sunrise and the cat would start zooming out of nowhere. Nana would get startled with the cat suddenly coming in his way. That resulted in him tripping every single time. That cheeky cat would manage to zoom past before Nana would fall over him. He would zoom around Nana, troubling him, and later, come up to my bed and sleep next to me, pretending to be the sweetest angel in the world. My toddler self would refuse to let Nana scold the sweet little kitty. Oh, boy, the cat knew he had me whipped around his tail. Every time he did some mischief, he would come to hide behind me.

Honestly, I had no idea how Nana would have felt then but right now, I can imagine how annoying it would have been for him. That is because Goddess Ganga's Makara seemed to enjoy playing zoomies at the moment. The Goddess had no issue with it. She was enjoying it while I was trying not to trip and fall off the ride.

"I get that we said we had to get there fast but no so fast that I am toppled off," I told Sona.

"I know but it is better than annoying her. Especially you need to keep your mouth stitched. You have an odd itch to go around insulting people when you're annoyed." Harsh told me.

Nandini held my hand to help me stabilize myself.

We had crossed the River Mandakini and River Alaknanda very comfortably. The trouble started with Devaprayag. Goddess Ganga runs in an exciting flow from there. Do you know how people say that River Goddesses are fickle and hyper-excited? Yeah, they are telling you the truth. For most of the River Goddesses, it is true. When you offend them quickly and she drowns you in the water. I have personally seen Goddess Ganga drown a rakshasa so violently that, it had me humbled. I had always seen the River Ganga flowing ever so gently when I sat by the river beach by our home. Then seeing her so violently killing the rakshasa reminded me of how fickle they can be.

The oceans are deep and vast. Scary large waves and large oceanic creatures can scare people but nothing could be scarier than a river goddess losing her shit and flooding the plains around. She crashes you around, knocks you over rocks and kills you in an instance, or drowning you while dragging you along with her flow. Boy, that is violent. So, don't mess with them.

Goddess Ganga offered us a small pod. It was in the shape of a fish, only open from the top and the side. The front end was attached to the tail of her Makara. The tail swishing left and right and moving ahead with the speed was crazy. Like a cat's zoomies at 3 am.

It was 4:30 in the morning when we had reached Allahabad.

"Kalindi..." Goddess Ganga greeted the Goddess Yamuna whose flow ended there at Allahabad.

"Ganga..." She greeted with a gentle smile, then noticed the pod attached. "I'm quite surprised to see you, Omkara."

"Pitashree. Our great and dearest pitashree. He saw me having a good time in Suryaloka and he kicked me down here to do Indra's work."