37. The Choice Made

Music for the Chapter: Naina by Sona Mohapatra and Armaan Malik from Khoobsurat

Light flashed brightly. I turned around and saw Sona. Her eyes no longer seemed to have eyeballs, it emitted light. Her tied hair was no free and flying uncontrolled. She was hovering in the air. It was like she was emitting light.

With loud noise, the whole thing came alive. All the markings on the floor of the yantra light up with bright light. The rings and the ball started spinning. The reactors got activated.

With magic, Shukracharya materialized something in his hands. A photograph. He offered to let me see it. "I guess this is something you would like to see."

I walked up to him and took a look at the photograph. Shukracharya and two women. I recognized the woman in the middle instantly.

Maa. My mother.

Her smile was so bright. Bright red velvet suit. A plain white shirt that ruffled at the sleeves, a velvet red vest, and trousers. Her blazer was studded with a few gemstones. Not much but just enough to make it look fancy. She wore one gold locket and gold earrings. Her hair was perfectly shiny and straight. She wore a few gold rings.

She stood next to Shukracharya and was smiled brightly in the photographs. She held his arm. Her other arm was linked with the other woman's arm. She resembled maa slightly but yet not entirely.

"Maa..." I said and looked up at Shukracharya. He nodded.

"Think of it. If you stay with me, you can be with her. How long have you wanted to be with her?"

"Narayan said that she doesn't live in Vaikunt..." Earlier he said that. Also, the guards at the royal palace too said that no one had seen her in a long time.

"Yes. No one knows where she is except me. Matashree and Pitashree don't know. Vishnu doesn't know. Goddess Parvati doesn't. Samudra dev doesn't. Only I know where she is. I can take you to her. All you have to do is just decide to stay with me."

I have never wanted anything more than that. The scene that I saw of maa rocking me to sleep, softly sing a lullaby.

"Adi..." Harsh shouted at me. "We need to go. Now."

"Harsh, maa..." I told him. Nothing really mattered more. "You go. I can't come with you. I can go see maa."

"You can live with her. She would love to be with you." Shukracharya told me.

"Adi, we need to return to Gurukul."

"Harsh, you know more than anyone how much I have wished to stay with maa. She is my mother. No Gurukul can match up to what she is. She is my mother."

He looked at me, almost scared.

"This. No one else can give you." Shukracharya reminded me. "Even if they teach you everything they know, you wouldn't be able to reach her. I can get you to her."