54 » epilogue

"Life went on, but it was never the same again."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

Sunghoon hissed, making a swift right on the dark streets of Seoul, his grip around the steering wheel tightening by each passing second. He was late tonight, again. He didn't like disappointing Areum, yet tonight would be his third time doing so.

But this time, he had a reason in his grasp. A valid one, and not just some stupid lame excuse of work and meetings. He did have too much work to do in office, it wasn't even an excuse in all honesty, but it would not pardon him the fact he ditched Areum to their late night dates thrice a row.

As soon as the familiar street he passed through every day, the one leading to a place he would call his new home (moreover, a way larger one that his one bedroom apartment) came into view, he stepped on the accelerator, speeding up the car to run through the deserted road. It had to be deserted considering the clock was chiming past 11 at the night.

A huge wave of guilt washed over him when he saw Areum standing outside his door, "Fuck my life.." He drawled lowly, honking the car to signal his presence.

The girl, who was previously leaning against the pillar, scrolling through her timeline, looked up immediately. She did not smile. And that was when he knew he couldn't make it up to her again.

Sunghoon waited patiently, watching her open the huge gates for the car to get inside the parking. Once inside and having the car parked neatly, Sunghoon picked up his wallet and phone from the passenger seat, unlocking the car door as he stepped out.

"Areum, I'm—"

"The keys," She cut him off, "It's cold out here." She mumbled, stretching her hand out towards him before firmly slipping her phone inside her coat pocket. She was wearing a red dress underneath her black coat, his favourite one. There was almost no emotion laced in her voice. No sadness, no disappointment, no anger.

Still shivering from the waves of guilt that were washing over him, he silently removed the house keys from his pocket, handing them over to his girlfriend. He would rather have her yell at him, remove all her stress verbally instead of bottling it up. He would rather have her tell him how much of a jerk he was to drown their date plans again than having to go through this silent treatment.

Once inside the apartment, Areum tossed her coat onto the hatstand, bending over with the support of the shoe rack to remove her strappy sandals. Sunghoon loosened his tie, struggling to find proper words as he watched her toss the black sandals somewhere near the door.

"I would rather go to mom's home," She broke the silence, "But it's too late now and I didn't want to trouble you by making you drive me to her apartment right after you came home from work." She mumbled, drawing her feet towards the kitchen.