16 » a little more

"What a plot twist you were."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

"What the fuck— But didn't Suah run it?"

"Exactly. Suah runs it, while Sunghoon owns it," Juyeon revealed as I felt my brain go into the state of haywire, "Apparently, the owner of the land on which the restaurant has been built has filed a case against Sunghoon, saying that the place has been illegally built on his land," He carried on, anger clearly depicting for the land owner in his voice.

"So, until the law testifies the property, the restaurant wouldn't open." He finished, keeping his mug on the table that had set us apart.

That explained why Sunghoon seemed so tense yesterday.

Like a pang of guilt had been driven right through my chest, over and over, my eyes stung with shame. He had done nothing but clean up my mess, be with me since the day we had met, help me in everything he could, and here I was, making things difficult than it already were for him.

He must've been so worried yesterday after I came home so late, no calls, no texts, nothing.

"I should apologise." I muttered under breath as I pushed away my half-empty coffee mug, standing up. I was about to make my way out of his apartment, but he was quick to halt me.

"Don't," He said, "He has gone out with Suah."

I sighed as my hand immediately shot up to massage my throbbing temple. Hangovers were certainly the worst thing on the planet.

"Guess I'll have to just wait till he returns then."

⤜ ⬪ ⋄ ⬪ ⤛

I fiddled with the hem of my sweater, swirling the woollen thread about my fingers as I avoided any kind of eye contact. Sunghoon looked impatient, almost pissed, as he propped his elbows on his knees, bending forward with his gaze fixed on me.

"Areum, this cannot wait forever," He said, tired of me being silent, "Just say it."

I inhaled deeply, mustering up the bits and pieces of what I had revised from the back of my mind, "I'm sorry."

That was it. Out of hundreds words I had prepared, out of a proper apology, I said just two words.

It felt like the words had lost their meaning somewhere, drowning deep with my guilt. Normally, it wouldn't have been a big deal about me coming home late and not answering someone.

But I wasn't his responsibility. And he was taking care of me, keeping me afloat from going onto the other side of whirlpool of anxiety about my relationship.

He wasn't obliged to, but he still was doing his best and I had to return the favour.

His gaze, his expressions almost immediately softened, like an ice cube kept out on a sunny day.

Like he could understand everything I wanted to say through those two words, he gave me a light smile, "It's alright," He waved it off, leaning back properly on his couch.

"It's not," I spoke up, "I made you all worry so much as if my life wasn't enough of a trouble." I mumbled, the thought of my boyfriend crossing paths inside my mind.

"Hey," Sunghoon called out as he got up from the couch, walking upto my side, "Stop thinking that. You're in this because of what he has done, not because of what you are doing," He seated himself beside me.

"And we're with you, by your side, to get you through this, because isn't that what friends are for?" He asked, his hand reaching out to grab mine.

I watched as he intertwined our fingers, his thumb running across the soft skin of my palm, his eyes never leaving mine. And for a second, it didn't seem like he was doing this all as a friend, as if he was desperately asking me to understand him and his action by the simple action of him holding my hand right now.

Almost immediately, as if on cue, my eyes watered, "I'm really sorry," I mumbled as I felt him lean forwards, reaching out to wipe my wet cheeks, "I should've been more considerate of you. You're already going through so much, and here I am, being nothing but a burden—" I hiccoughed.

"Hey," He grabbed my wrist, pulling me forwards. I soon was engulfed by his arms, "You're not a burden, Areum." He mumbled as he ran his hand over my back, "You never were."

"You've been so stressed out lately, and having a drink with a friend only took you out of all your problems for once," He reasoned out, "If that made you happy, even for once, then you need not be sorry."

My sobs were almost immediately shortened, and we both stayed, as a thick blanket of silence took over us.

It was comforting, his presence was comforting. It was foreign, but it felt home. I wondered how immediately within a span of a few weeks could you grow so close to someone, could you admire someone so much that without them it felt lonely almost.

Gradually, I wrapped my hands around his torso, quite unsure of action myself. Regretting it almost immediately, I tried to pull away, but I halted when I felt his grip around me tighten.

My heart started to pick up its pace, as for once, I was thankful Sunghoon couldn't see my face, which was burning fire at that point. I was surprised to hear his heartbeat be as fast as mine, loud and clear.

My nose felt clogged, and I felt a need to take in some fresh air due to all the sniffling and crying, as I tried to pull away.

"Just a little more," Sunghoon whispered, his grip growing firm around my torso, "Please," He mumbled lowly, his breath hitting my neck as I froze up.

Nothing came out of my mouth and I let him be.

But it wasn't right.