Chapter 1

(You Have To Read T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E To Understand)

Jermaine
(A few months later in February)

"Now, you pull both sides and yo shoe tied, lil bruh." I said, showing Damien that his shoe was now laced up.

"I did that!" He pointed to the other shoe that only had a knot in it.

"You did, but you missed a few steps. Let me show you." I tied his shoe the correct way. He nodded, standing up.

"Where we going?" He asked as we went out the door.

"Kiara wanted to take you to look at daycare areas since she claim I wouldn't pick the right one." I put him in the back seat, making sure it was secure. "Then out for ice cream."

"Ice creammm." I got in the front seat, starting the car up. "Where you going?"

"I'mma be with ya uncle."

Malik wanted me to come to the trap with him. Something about finding someone or getting some information on someone, I can't really remember. We've been trying to get whoever it is for the longest but always run into a dead end. We'll find who it is soon tho.
~
King

"So you're still giving us the run around, huh?" I sat back in my chair as they shined a bright light in my face.

"I already told you what I know, bruh." I shrugged.

The man stood up, slapping a picture on the desk. "So you telling me you don't know this man?"

I looked at the same picture that they always show me of Vinchi.

"I never said I didn't know him. That's my brudda."

"Ya partner in crime right?"

"If that's how you wanna put it." He stared at me, wiping his hand over his mouth.

Him and the other guy started to walk away, but I stopped them.

"Ya know what's funny?" They turned around, looking at me.

"I find it funny how y'all continue to question me but have yet to tell me what the hell I'm in here for."

Just as one of the guys were finna respond, another guy came in, stopping us from talking.

"Don't say anything else." He came over, pulling me up by my shirt, making me exit the room.
~
Amara

"Get the fuck out of my face." I mumbled, pushing one of our workers out of the room, slamming the door.

"Anyways, wassgood?" I sat in my chair, rolling my blunt up.

"Everything went good, I got in and out." Nia nodded, sitting the bag in front of me.

"Thanks for handling that. My bad I couldn't go with you. I'm this close to catching up in my school work." I said, lighting the blunt up.

Lately, I've been working on getting right with school. With trying to figure everything out with King, it's been a struggle but I'm almost back on track.

"Oh yeah." I reached into my desk drawer, pulling out three envelopes. "Here's your paycheck and King's. Put that into his account."

"What to do with the third one?" I straight faced her.

"You know who's money that is. Either give it to him or don't." I shrugged, taking a few pulls, letting the smoke out of my mouth.

"Amara, I honestly thin-"

"Nia, not right now." I cut her off, shaking my head.

Obviously me and Vinchi still ain't on speaking terms and probably will never speak again. He hasn't been by the trap in a minute but he still gets paid because we all know that he's just slacking a little right now. Still doesn't change shit tho.

"Anyways, let's get back down to business." I tapped the blunt over the ashtray, letting some of the ashes fall. "What's going on with King?"

"Bullshit. They still haven't even told him what he went in for." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Wait, how? Ain't that like against the law and shit?"

"I think so, plus they didn't tell him his rights the night he got arrested." My eyes grew slightly as I sat back.

"Awe hell nah. They done fucked up, honestly. We gotta get him a lawyer."

"Exactly what I said but they are saying he doesn't need one until his trial runs around."

"When is his trial?"

"We don't know yet." I shook my head, sighing in frustration.

"Fuck that. We gonna start looking into lawyers tomorrow. I can't have my boy sitting in jail for nothing." I stood up, dusting myself off.

Nia looked at her phone with a confused look on her face.

"I gotta go." She stood up, rushing out of the room before I could say anything.

Weird.
~
I drove home as I thought about everything. I wish it was an easier way to get King out of jail but they aren't telling us anything. The only thing we can do is get a lawyer. I just hope everything works out for us in the end.

I grabbed my phone, texting someone who has always been the person with connections.

: yo?

Khalisè 🥰💛: wassup?

:you busy right now?

Khalisè 🥰💛: Nah, I ain't doing anything

: meet me at my house real quick

Khalisè 🥰💛: bet, I'm omw

I pulled into my driveway, getting out of the car.

As I walked up to the steps, I realized that there was a picture on the porch.

I picked it up, seeing a picture of King, laying on a bed in an orange jumpsuit. I flipped the picture over to see a picture of my mom and dad. It was when they were young.

The words You're next were on top above them.

I sighed, shaking my head. Not this shit again.