Chapter 19

Amara

"That's literally what I was saying too! Angel, Kevin, , Tiana, that nigga from the club, Cortez and his father, hell, even Jasmine is gone. Everybody is gone! Who the hell else could be giving out information?" I expressed as I walked around the house.

Everybody was here. Right now, we're trying to figure out what the hell happened. They finally told us that King is in jail because of murder. Which murder? We don't know yet.

"It doesn't make any sense. We cleared all the evidence. Plus King didn't even kill anybody. Nobody else was there with us." Malik said.

"Was there?" Nia asked. The whole room went quiet.

"Nah, it couldn't have been." I stated, thinking if anybody else could've been there. "Nobody knew what was going on."

"We don't know that for sure tho." Vinchi said making me look at him confused.

"Vinchi's right. Someone could've possibly seen us and snitched." I groaned in frustration.

"But who tho? Cause that's they ass if we know who it is." Jermaine said, standing up.

"No we can't do that. If we murk whoever this motherfucker is, they'll know that we actually have something to do with the murder." I said. Jermaine looked at me then nodded.

"Okay, I got it. All we gotta do is come up with a good reason to why we were at an abandoned building on a Wednesday night." Nia said.

"It's only one problem with that. King." Malik said, making me nod.

"Yeah. King isn't gonna know what we come up with."

"Okay, we'll have to think about what would King tell them."

"What would he tell them?"

The room went silent as we thought for a second. Then, everyone turned and looked at Vinchi.

"What?" Vinchi furrowed his eyebrows.

"Nigga, you know King better than anyone, what would he say?" Kiara said.

Vinchi leaned against the wall, staring at the floor as if he was thinking about something.

"Ight bet. I don't know why this didn't click sooner. Me and King use to always go to abandoned places when we were little. Shii we did it until we moved up here."

"Okay, so why were y'all going to abandoned houses?"

"Just to clear our minds, to get away from everything."

"So, is that what he would say?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Yeah."

"Okay, what about us? Why were we there?" Khalisè asked.

"Y'all came looking for us."

"Okay, this could work." Kiara said, nodding.

"Ight, but why would they say it was King that killed them? That's what I wanna know." Jermaine said.

"Right, it doesn't make any sense when I killed that Travis nigga and Nia killed Ms. Tiana." I said.

"So if someone did go back and snitch, why would they say it was King?" Nia said, making me think.

"Wait a second." I face palmed myself. "That's it."

"What?"

"Demarcus!" Nia furrowed her eyebrows at me.

"What you talking about, Se?"

"Demarcus has been tryna get at you for the longest, Nia. This didn't come up until after King and him fought right? So I'm thinking he saw us the very last time we went to an abandoned building with King, and he wasn't gonna say anything until they got into that altercation." I shrugged as everyone stared at me.

"So Demarcus more of a bitch than I thought." Malik chuckled coldly, rubbing his chin hair.

"Yo, this nigga better be glad we ain't tryna go to jail." Vinchi mumbled.

"Ight, so we got the plan right? Vinchi and King had to clear their heads and we tracked them down." We all nodded at Khalisè's statement.

"Now all we can do is pray King says the same thing since we are all are getting called in today."

Lord be with us.
~
Vinchi
(Later on that day)

"Hey." I looked up to see Amara standing at my door.

"How you get in here?"

"I still got my key, nigga." I chuckled as she walked into my room. "What were you doing?"

"Nothing, just reading." I said, holding up the Bible and my highlighter.

"You got one I can use?" I stood up and walked over to the dresser, grabbing another Bible and handing it to her along with a highlighter.

We both laid on the floor as we looked through the Bible. I highlighted the words that I needed to hear the most right now before looking at what Amara was highlighting.

"Which verse is that?"

"Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." I nodded, flipping to that page, highlighting it.

"Are you okay?" I looked up at Amara who was looking at me.

"Yeah, I'm cool." I responded, shrugging.

"You sure?"

"I mean yeah." I sat up a little. "I just wish I could get my brudda out, ya know?" I clasped my hands together, letting out some air.

"Come here." I scooted over and laid my head in her lap, feeling myself relax a little bit.

"I do know that King is gonna get out of there. I know that for sure. We just gotta stay strong and keep praying, Ight?" I nodded my head, feeling her rub my arm up and down.

"I love you." I said, looking up at her.

"I love you too."