Chapter 4

Nia

"Queen G." King sung in the phone as I chuckled, smiling.

I was now visiting King since this is all I could get for now.

"Hey King."

"How you been?"

"I've been straight. How you doing?"

"Okay as I can be, I guess. It's boring in here." I sighed, messing with my fingers.

"I miss you, King. You still haven't found out what the hell is going on?"

"I miss you too. And Nope, they ain't told me shit yet. These cops on some dirty shit." He said, shrugging.

"This isn't fair bruh. It's too much shit going on." I mumbled.

"Aye, we gonna figure this shit out soon. We gonna maker everything right for sure." He nodded. "How's Vinchi holding up?"

I looked at him, not even knowing how to respond.

"What?"

"Vinchi is..." I started. "Ion think he's doing too well."

"What you mean? He was fine when he came to my visit the other day." He said with a confused look on his face.

"Yeah, but when I went by y'all house." I trailed off, visioning the house that was trashed and fucked up the last time I was there. "I think he be spazzing out."

"Well, where's Amara? Obviously Amara can help out with that, right?" I made a face that made his eyes slightly grow.

"What happened?" I sighed and started to explain what went down the night he went to jail, but I was talking in code since these bitch ass police be listening.

"You serious?" I nodded. He poked his tongue in his jaw, nodding his head. "Tell his ass to come up here after your visit , I got some words for him."

"I don't think he meant it tho."

"Yeah but you're don't do shit like that, Nia. You don't blame nobody for shit. I don't blame her, or him or anybody cause I know everything is gonna work out for me in the end."

"Times up." The officer said, tapping King on his shoulder.

"I'll see you later." I said, loud enough for him to hear me since they were rushing him.

"See you later, QG!" I smiled, shaking my head.
~
Amara

"Okay, we got some shit to talk about." I nodded at what Malik said.

Me, Malik, and Jermaine were all in our house. We checked the house, making sure nobody was recording us or anything before we got down to anything.

"So, this Kevin nigga. Does anybody have any idea about who that could be?" Jermaine asked. I shook my head.

"I don't know who Kevin is. Well, at least I don't think I do." I responded, shrugging.

"Khalisè was acting weird yesterday. You think she got something to do with it?" Malik said, crossing his arms.

"Nah, Khalisè been on our side for a minute now. Ain't no way she know what's going on."

"Then why did she rush out the room the other day like she seen a ghost or some shit? Ion know, dawg. She looking shady as fuck right now." I scoffed at Malik's words.

"Maybe she had to do something, Le."

"Man, something's up."

"Okay, let's touch the other subject, Cortez." Jermaine said, turning away from his laptop.

"So CJ obviously stands for something, what y'all thinking?" Malik asked.

"All I can think of is that he wants to be called CJ because maybe his name is Cortez Jr." I responded, shrugging.

"Okay, say his name is Cortez Jr, why does he want us to know that?" Jermaine asked, turning his lip up.

"I don't know." I threw my hands up, letting them fall back down. "Literally nothing is cl-"

I stopped talking slowly. I remembered a set of words that I lowkey didn't wanna remember.

"You need to think about all the situations from the past, anything that Cortez could possibly be connected to."

"What?" Malik said, looking at Jermaine then back at me.

I stood up, pacing the floor, trying to get my thoughts together.

"Amara, what is it?"

"Wait." I put my hand up to stop Jermaine from talking before I got distracted.

That's when everything hit me at once.

"Ion know what to tell you, Tez. You can't get me to talk."

"Yo, Tez! It's no money here!"

"My kids don't have anything to do with this, Tez! Let them go!"

The name Tez continuously ran in my head.

"Move over." I said, moving Jermaine out the way as I typed on his computer.

After I finished typing, a picture of Cortez popped up and that gave me everything I needed.

"Ain't no fucking way." I mumbled, making Malik walk over to see what was going on.

"Amara, tell me what the fuck is going on." Jermaine said, crossing his arms.

"This bastard.... this son of a bitch right here." I poked my tongue in my jaw as I shook my head. "That's his son."

"Who? Who's son?" Malik said, scrunching his face up at the picture.

"The day mom and dad were killed... what name did you constantly hear?"

"Stop the bullshit and tell us what the fuck you talking about!"

"I'm talking about Tez! The motherfucker that killed our parents, his name was Tez. This bitch right here name is Cortez. Cortez wants to be called CJ because he is Cortez Jr. Which means Tez is Cortez Sr. That's his fucking child!" I yelled back at Malik, pointing at the picture on the screen.

"Nah, hell nah, that can't be true." Jermaine said, looking closer at the screen.

"Dawg, look at his eyes! I remember those eyes bruh. It's just now clicking." I said, staring at the screen.

"You got to be kidding me." Malik put his hand over his mouth, propping himself up a little.

My phone vibrated, showing me I had a text message.

***-***-****: you finally figured it out

I started to look around the house. Something ain't right.

"Yo, you straight?" Jermaine asked, walking up to me.

"Nah." I felt around for my strap, feeling that I didn't have it. Shit.

"Yo, what the fuck is that?" Malik asked, standing up.

Before I could ask what he was talking about, loud gunshots filled the air as glass shattered.

I took a deep breath as everything slowed down. My vision got blurry but I could still see Malik and Jermaine crouch down, grabbing their straps.

I covered my hand over my now bloody chest, using my other hand to cover my leg.

I fell backwards, hitting the floor.

Last thing I felt was Jermaine shaking me before everything went black.