2nd Arc Part 2: New Labs and New Truths

The next area that we headed to was the area I immediately thought was weird when I first woke up. We walked up and found ourselves on the second floor in front of the dragon statue.

I wasn't the only one to think the dragon statue was immediately suspicious, as Kaede, Kokichi, Ryoma, Miu, Gonta, Kiyo, Maki, and Angie were there as well. Kaede noticed someone was coming and smiled at us, however, when she averted her gaze away from me when I looked at her.

"Ah! Shuichi! Rin! You two wanted to check this place out too?" Kaede asked, more so to Shuichi than me.

"I mean, this statue was one of the first things I saw here. Anyone could tell it's suspicious." I said as I looked at the out-of-place dragon. "I wonder what it's hiding. Maybe we'll get the rest of the second floor unlocked after we use the item."

"Well, I'll put in the gem," Shuichi said as he inserted the dragon's empty eye socket. As soon as he did, the statue shook and fell apart, along with the wall behind it.

"The wall has collapsed!" Kiyo exclaimed.

"Whoa, that's so cool! We can get past this wall now! Alright then, chaaaaarge!" Kokichi said enthusiastically as he rushed ahead into the new area.

"W-Wait! Charging in is dangerous!" Gonta exclaimed as he ran after the tiny leader of evil.

"We should go ahead as well," I said.

"Wait...do you...feel that?" Kaede asked.

"What's wrong?" Ryoma asked.

"The air here feels...weird. Kinda like the library." Kaede said as she shivered a bit.

"The air...?" I questioned. I took a few steps into the new area and felt what Kaede was talking about. "The air feels...old. Stagnant. How long has this area been sealed up?" I asked out loud.

"That's a good question. If this place was made for us, then why would this place feel so...decrepit and have weeds and grass overgrown everywhere." Shuichi asked.

"We'll probably have to figure that out ourselves." Maki sighed as she continued forth.

"Atua says that we'll probably find the answer if we keep exploring the academy!" Angie said as she put her hands together in a prayer.

"Not like we don't have much of a choice." Ryoma sighed.

"Let's check out the new area then," I said as we each began to explore the rest of the second floor. As soon as we entered the newly opened area, a door that had a fancy, elegant design caught my eye. "Is this an Ultimate Research Lab?"

"What a nice design," Kaede said. "Well, let's go inside and see who this lab is for!" Kaede grabbed the door handle and–

Click...Click...

"Huh?" Kaede wasn't able to open the door. "It's locked?"

"But why? No other research lab has been locked. I didn't think they had locks." Shuichi said as he examined the door. As soon as he said that, Monokuma popped up.

"Oh, that research lab is closed because its owner is dead!" Monokuma explained with an evil grin.

"...Dead?" I asked.

"Per the rules, if a student dies before their Ultimate research lab is opened, then that lab will remain closed." Monokuma clarified.

"That's the first time I'm hearing this!" Shuichi and I said at the same time.

"That's cuz this is the first time I've mentioned it." Monokuma giggled.

"...It does state in the rules that Monokuma is free to just make things up as he goes..." Kaede sighs as she places her hand on her forehead.