𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 12: 𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝐼𝓈 𝒩𝑜𝓉 𝒜 𝐹𝒶𝒾𝓇𝓎𝓉𝒶𝓁𝑒

There are two types of people in this world: those who are idiots and those with common sense. I have common sense. Everyone in Storybrooke? All idiots. They're all following a twelve-year-old boy like he's a prophet. They believe his claims. If no one with common sense steps up, Henry could initiate a cult if he's not careful. How long before people want to go to this "Enchanted Forest?" To see magic? Henry has no idea what he's bringing on. I should stop him. It seems I'm the only person with common sense in this town. But who will listen to an outsider? And how could I start a revolution against Henry? He's a kid. I don't expect there to be pitchforks and torches, but there'll definitely be screaming and violence. I can't do that to a child.

I arrive at Henry's house after he texts me he's finished his homework, which he's been doing all day. I've lived in small, crowded foster homes and apartments for years. All while a crazy kid got to grow up and live here. I'm sure Storybrooke was normal before he found his storybook. How it must've been before his fantasies? How everyone must've been so different? Before the storybook, the town must have been a child's paradise. An ice cream shop, a diner, boutiques, two moms? When I didn't have one? And he has three grandparents? Two homes? A hometown? Henry's nuts, yet he has it all. He has everything I could ever want.

It's not fair. It's so not fair.

After picking him up at his glorious home, Henry and I walk down the sidewalk. His life must be amazing here. Everyone cares about him. They believe him because they love him. So, they don't doubt him. They don't question him or realize how ridiculous his stories are.

But I do.

"So, tell me, kid. If Storybrooke is filled with people from the Enchanted Forest, does that mean there's a town full of characters from Wonderland? What about the Wizarding World?"

"No. Those places weren't cursed."

"'Course, they weren't," I whisper.

A soft breeze carries the ocean's salty scent to here. Cold shadows linger, but the grass on the front lawns is crisp and healthy from the rain. Some trees are starting to lose their leaves and are turning orange, red, yellow, or brown.

"Where are we going today?" I ask Henry.

"Back to the Town Hall. My mom should be there now. She left home about an hour ago." He's not wearing his coat, as usual. It must be because of today's warmth.

"Okay, but I was thinking we should try the library again. Considering your mom and I aren't exactly best friends at the moment."

"But she'll be able to help. She can give us town records."

"Belle can, too, can't she? She could help us find out where my parents are."

He looks down, watching his steps. "She likes books, but I don't know if she'll give us more information than my mom can."

"If she's really into books, then maybe she can."

"It'll take a while. I have to meet a friend."

"It's almost one," I say, looking at the clocktower, which pokes above the trees. "What time do you have to be there?"

"The sooner, the better."

"Then let's get a move on."

"But—"

"Come on."

As Henry and I make our way to the library, doubt clouds my mind. There are too many mysteries I've encountered since arriving here. One of them being my parents. Are they even here... or alive? Few people know them. No one's seen them.