𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 13: 𝒮𝓊𝓇𝓋𝒾𝓋𝑜𝓇𝓈

Killian grins. "I almost believed you would say, 'No.'"

He's handsome; I'll admit that. I hadn't noticed it before because my fears were in the way. Now that I'm looking at him unafraid, I see it. His black hair glistens under the sun. He has piercing ocean-blue eyes with a slight hint of mischief and ghosts. There's also regret and... endearment. Forgiveness.

Any ordinary teenage girl—or any girl, let's be honest—would be attracted to him, but I'm not. It feels wrong. But it's not because of the age difference or my previous worries. It's something else, and I don't know what. Not even his exposed chest hair in the "V" of his red leather vest is making me flush. I can't think about him that way—Not that I want to. It's just odd that I'm not. I'm sixteen, so I should. My hormones are all over the place. But there's nothing. No butterflies. No blushing. No sweating. No anything.

"I almost did." I squint in the sunlight.

"What made you change your mind?"

"I need answers."

"Ah... And you think I have them?"

"Do you?"

"It depends on what you want to know."

I glance at his hook. It terrifies me. Yet I like the way the light reflects off it. "I want to know where my parents are."

His grin fades, and sadness clouds his features.

"Do you know?" I can feel my brows rise as I search his face.

"I'm sorry, lass," he says, lowering his eyes.

"You said you wanted to show me something."

"I did."

"So, are you going to keep being mysterious, or are you going to show me whatever the hell you wanted to show me?"

"I always admire a person with fire," he says, his mouth curving into a smile. "This way." He walks off.

"Where are we going?"

"To that structure." The triangular, run-down warehouse is white with red moldings and has a sign that says "Storybrooke Cannery Co."

I follow him, feeling a little secure. "I must say, you have an interesting take on Captain Hook, but why are you going along with Henry's ideas? You're a grown man," I say when I catch up to him.

"This wasn't Henry's doing. Who does he say you are?"

"He thinks I'm Anna."

He stops, and his smug expression disappears.

"But I'm not encouraging him by dressing in a blue skirt, magenta cape, and wearing my hair in two braids."

"Anna? From Arendelle?"

"Yeah. I'm not sure what fairytale that is, though. I've never heard of her."

"It is you," he whispers.

"What?"

"Nothing, love." He continues moving toward the Cannery.

I look over to my left. The sunlight shines on the ocean. The crashing waves against the wooden pillars supporting the boardwalk create a dreamy ambiance with the cool sea breeze. I go toward the guardrail and soak it all in.

Killian joins me. "Are you alright, lass?"

"I'm fine. Isn't it beautiful?"

"Aye."

"You don't get to see things like this at the foster home." I can't remember the last time I felt this way—peaceful—tranquil. "Sorry." I shake my head as if to shake the feeling away. "Let's go."