𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 49: 𝐻𝑒𝓁𝓅𝓁𝑒𝓈𝓈 & 𝒜𝓁𝑜𝓃𝑒

How could Henry do this to me? What have I ever done to him? The whole town thinks I'm a murderer and attempted to kill him. They think I have a death wish. These past few days, I've been striving to get people to like me—to accept me. All wasted time. Down the drain—like that. Everyone hates me now. No one wants to be near me. No one wants to look at me. Henry painted me as a villain in a town of supposed heroes. They'll drive me out of Storybrooke like Emma drove me out of the loft. That was only the beginning.

I'm going to die alone. There's no longer anyone on my side. All my friends think I'm going to cross them off. I'm alone. There won't be a soul at my funeral, considering there is one. They'll probably ditch my body somewhere—maybe in the woods—and let Hortense feast on my corpse.

Henry has shattered my newfound life. He's stripped everything away from me. I want to push him down that stupid well. I should confront him and wring his neck...In my head, of course.

I'd like to talk to Delilah, but I still don't trust her, which leaves Hook as my sole alternative. I need to speak with him and convince him I'm innocent—that I would never kill a person, especially not one of my friends...He won't quit being mine, will he?

Lugging my duffel and guitar to the docks, I glimpse him strolling up the boardwalk, the post cap lights casting a ghostly pallor around him.

I stop in my tracks.

Talking to him may not be the best choice. I don't want to know what he thinks of me. I don't want him to think ill of me. What if the news reached him before I could clear my name? What if he's already concluded I'm a murderer? What if he wants nothing to do with me anymore?

My heart tears itself open as though something inside claws its way out. Hook's my friend. A good friend. A weird friend but a good friend. It's been ages since I've had someone to confide in, and now I have him. And I can't talk to him.

What if I did kill Chloe? I didn't help her when the window wouldn't open. I didn't try hard enough to pull her up. Did I try? I can't be sure. I may have only prolonged the inevitable. What if, deep down, I wanted her to die? I was jealous of her. Maybe I loosened my grip just enough to let the bracelet slip off.

It's my fault. It's my fault she's dead.

I wish I could ask the Wizard of Oz for the courage to confront the man who sees something in me I may never see.

But there is no Wizard of Oz, and there is no courageous bone in my body.

Before Hook can see me, I speed-walk back the way I came.

* * *

Where am I supposed to sleep tonight? My car's still at the Marine Garage, one place I've passed by countless times tonight. I can't afford a room at Granny's Bed and Breakfast, so what am I supposed to do? Sleep on a bench?

As I roam the streets of Storybrooke, my sunglasses serving as a shield and disguise, a thought I hate creeps into my head. I don't want to listen to it, but...I have to. There're no other options. It's a long shot, but I have to try. If it doesn't work out...well, it's not like I expect it to.

I knock on Regina's door, sunglasses perched on my head.

This is such a terrible idea. The absolute worst idea known to man. Regina hates me. And now, with those dreadful rumors circulating, I can only imagine her loathing has intensified. There's no way she'll agree to this.

The door opens, revealing her stern face. "You. You're still here."

"Did you really think I'd leave because you keep threatening me?"