𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 17: 𝐹𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓁𝓎 𝒟𝒾𝓃𝓃𝑒𝓇

I drive to Mary Margaret's apartment while feeling better about the world. I'm smiling from happiness, not politeness. I might have a friend. I have someone I can talk to. Someone likes me for... me.

Lost in my newfound happy thoughts, I almost kill a man. I stop short just in time.

"Sorry!"

At the apartment, Mary Margaret says, "Bella? Come in, come in."

Emma and David are also inside. I step in, holding my duffel bag in front of me. I don't normally apologize to people. I never needed to mend a relationship. I never cared if I lost someone. No one was important to me. But I need a place to stay since I can't remain at Granny's Bed and Breakfast.

"I just wanted to say... I'm sorry... for breaking into the library, the car chase, ...and smashing a store window."

Emma and David exchange a glance.

"That's not who I am. I guess I acted that way because... you and Mayor Mills expected me to. But I suppose I should've tried to prove you both wrong. After all, that's one of the best feelings in the world."

There's a silence.

"We appreciate that, Bella," Emma says.

"And I was wondering if I could stay here... while I'm in town."

"Of course, you can," Mary Margaret says next to me, putting an arm around my shoulders and a hand on my upper arm.

"Thank you."

"Your room is in there. Regina decorated it for you." That surprises me.

Mary Margaret gestures her hand toward a door in the living room. The living room is snug between a frosted glass wall and the brick one at the front of the apartment, which says "Black Bird" in huge yellow lettering and has a giant crow illustration. Part of that crow is on the guest room's door.

I step into the small ivory room, which has a rustic aesthetic. The twin bedframe is white iron with distressed gold knobs on the posts. Beside the bed is a short white nightstand with a cubby instead of a drawer. On top of the nightstand are a little pink lamp and a plant in a mug. Next to the door is an oak dresser with an oval mirror hanging above it.

It's a charming room, but it's meant for a family girl, not me. Chrys would love it, though.

"Do you like it?" Mary Margaret asks after I set my bag on the floor by the edge of the navy and white floral patterned rug.

"I... It's pretty, but how did Mayor Mills decorate so fast?"

The three exchange awkward glances until Mary Margaret says, "Magic?" She smiles like a clown, which scares me.

"I bet." I turn to view this sweet room again. Do I really get to stay here? It's perfect.

"Would you please join us for dinner tonight?"

"We'd love to have you," Emma says.

No. I'm not having dinner with them, even if they are nice enough to let me stay here. They'd either ask questions or ignore me. I'd sit and eat while they talk to each other. I would rather be alone and eat in my car or at Granny's.

"Thanks. I'd really love to," I say sarcastically, "but I was planning to go sightseeing. I'll see you guys after." I'm a great liar. It's kind of like my superpower.

See, the trick is to make sure the lie can never be proven it's a lie. I could've told them I promised someone else for dinner, and they would ask the other party how it went, and that person would say it never happened, and bam! Busted. It's a gift. It's all great thinking.