𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 24: 𝑅𝒾𝓈𝑒 𝐿𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒫𝒽𝑜𝑒𝓃𝒾𝓍

Apologizing to people is such a strange concept. Children don't apologize when they get into arguments with their friends. Instead, they sleep, wake up the following day, and forget the fight ever happened. Who made apologizing a thing? Barney? It's nerve-wracking. I may have to order a chamomile tea when I get to the café.

Just as I thought, Delilah's here. I amble along the line of teens and tap her shoulder.

"Hey," I say in such an awkward tone.

"You can't cut the line," a girl a couple of people down says.

"I'm not. I'm trying to have a conversation." I turn back to Delilah. "I wanted to apologize for before."

She crosses her arms to act tough, putting her weight on her back leg. "I'm listening."

"I shouldn't have snapped at you. I was upset about what my foster sister said. You didn't deserve to have me take it out on you."

"I forgive you... only if you give me twelve bucks because I just remembered I left my wallet in my locker." She puts her hand out.

"You're really something," I say, giving her the money.

"I've always been a little extra... How are you?"

"Fine."

"You look nervous," she says, scrunching her face.

"I'm not used to apologizing. I never cared about sustaining a relationship before."

"Well, I'm honored."

"Get out of the line," that girl shouts at me.

"Hey! Why don't you shut up?" Delilah says back.

A burst of flattery fills me. "Thanks. No one's stood up for me before."

"You've got me, now," she says, eyes lighting up. "Get used to it."

It's nice to have someone fight for me. I was getting tired of doing it all alone.

"Hey, so, I don't know if you heard, but Henry got himself grounded," I say.

"Henry?" she says, her brows raising.

"Shocking, I know."

"What'd he do?" she asks, leaning in with curiosity.

"Skip school."

"Henry?"

I nod.

"Henry would never miss school," she says, looking away.

"Well, he did, and now he's grounded, so I kind of need someone to help me find my parents."

She turns to me again. "Me?"

"You get your wish," I say, opening my arms.

"Is that why you apologized?"

"No... It's not the only reason."

Delilah shakes her head, turning away.

"I really am sorry, but I still need a guide. I need you to help me. Please."

"Fine. But only because you said, 'Please.'"

"We both know that's not why."

She gives me a questioning look.

"I know someone desperate for a friend when I see one," I say.

"I'm not desperate," she says on the defensive. "I have friends."

"Name two."

"Will and..." She slowly shakes her head while faint sounds come from her mouth. "You only need one."