𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐼𝓇𝑜𝓃 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝒸𝑒 𝒪𝒻 𝒞𝓊𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓉𝓎

𝒜 𝒮𝒽𝑜𝓇𝓉 𝒮𝓉𝑜𝓇𝓎

𝒥𝓊𝓃𝑒 12, 2009

Thousands of kids dream of meeting their favorite singers, actors, and sports players. I dream of meeting a particular tech genius. Science and technology have always fascinated me. So, when I discovered the fifth grade goes on an annual trip to the Stark Industries New York Facility, I was beyond excited. The anticipation for this day got me through the year, and I can't believe it's finally here. I couldn't sleep last night and barely touched my breakfast this morning. Some people eat when they're nervous, but not me.

The bus rumbles down the highway. My classmates sing the latest pop and rap songs to the dismay of the parent chaperones and teacher tagalongs. Each time they forget the lyrics, they switch mid-song to another, repeating the cycle that's been going on for the past twenty minutes. I ignore them and spam Y on my DS to release a barrage of fireballs at Bowser in Super Mario Bros. Since no one sits next to me, I take the liberty to stretch my legs and rest them on top of the seat in front of me.

My mind wanders as I play, thinking of meeting Tony Stark at Stark Industries. If he's there, would he demonstrate new tech? Give us a tour of his personal lab? I'd ask him a ton of questions about engineering and design. I could even tell him about the robot I built with my old friend Peter. Though, of course, before I start fangirling, I'd give him a warm hug and ask if he's alright after what went down in Afghanistan. The news reports that covered the story scared me half to death. I can't imagine what else he must've endured besides almost dying and having to build an Arc Reactor to keep him alive. That requires genius-level thinking, by the way.

"Hey, Bella!" Olivia rises from her seat in the back, her blonde hair tied into a tight, sleek high ponytail. How does that not hurt her?

"Picto," she says over the singing, waving her hot pink DSi.

The sight of it instills jealousy within me, but I nod with a slight grin. After saving my game, I remove the cartridge and hop into PictoChat.

Olivia sends a handwritten message that says, "Hello," the word surrounded by squiggles and dots to represent confetti. She drew everything with the rainbow pen, a feature exclusive to the DSi.

I frown at the burst of color Olivia used. She always shows off her new DS. I have a DS Lite. I can't take pictures, animate in Flipnote Studio, or mess with the sound app. It's not fair that she gets to have all the fun.

Instead of embarrassing myself by writing back in black ink, I use my stylus to drag letters from the keyboard to the blank space. I arrange for them to say, "Hello," and then add a square smiley face. Send.

ᴡᴀɴᴛ 2 ᴘʟᴀʏ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ ᴏɴ ᴋɪʀʙʏ ꜱᴜᴘᴇʀ ꜱᴛᴀʀ?

Olivia types out.

ɪ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ʙʀɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɢᴀᴍᴇ.

"Sweet niblets!" Olivia replies with more rainbow doodles. She's as obsessed with Hannah Montana as I am with Harry Potter. We've all got something, I guess.

This trip has me bubbling with excitement, and I can't help but ask:

ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴛᴏɴʏ ꜱᴛᴀʀᴋ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀᴄɪʟɪᴛɪᴇꜱ?

ᴘʀᴏʙ ɴᴏᴛ. ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ɢᴇᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴏᴘᴇꜱ ᴜᴘ.

A pause, then she sends another message.