𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 35: 𝒞𝒶𝓃 𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝒾𝓉 𝐿𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝐹𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇?

1:08.

1:09.

1:10.

1:11.

Each passing minute—each second adds a brick on top of my shoulders. Time pushes me closer to my demise, and the uncertainty of when it'll happen is unbearable. If only I had a date—a measure to hold on to. It'd provide a sense of control, allowing me to do what I need to without worrying about running out of time. But there never seems to be enough. For anything.

Everything seems meaningless. At least it's familiar territory. I'm used to navigating through it, but that was when I believed I had all the time in the world. Now I'm not sure. I could have weeks, days, hours, or even minutes left. Yet here I am, stress-eating Emerald Forest Pizza at a secluded corner table at Granny's.

I should be out there, partying and not caring if it goes against who I am. I don't drink, smoke, sleep around, or take drugs. Those things aren't who I am, and I wouldn't consider them if I didn't know I was going to die.

But now I don't give a fuck.

Maybe I should drink. I should do all the "bad" things I've never considered. And who cares if it kills me? I'm going to die, anyway.

Lost in my thoughts, I consult my Storybrooke map, locating the nearby bars and clubs. The closest one is The Rabbit Hole, just down the street. I believe it's safe to say that every business in Storybrooke is named after a fairytale reference. Curious about the bar's reviews, I look up "Storybrooke, Maine" on my broken phone, but there're no results about a town called Storybrooke.

What the fuck?

Even when I search on Google Maps, there're only four Maine locations, none of which are in town. Confused and frustrated, I search Regina's name, hoping for answers. The query yields no promising results once again.

"How is that possible?" I whisper in disbelief.

"How is what possible?" Killian appears beside my table, curious about my distress, and eyes the open pizza box.

"That there're no records of this town in existence."

"That's because this town is a magical one, as I've already told you." He slides into one of the grey chairs, sitting across from me.

"There has to be a real explanation. Blink twice if Storybrooke is a secret government operation." I gasp, half-teasing, half-serious. "Is S.H.I.E.L.D. behind it?"

Killian lays back and spreads himself out with cool arrogance, his head hanging loose on his shoulders. "I can assure you, there is no dominating force over this maniacal town."

"So you agree with me? This town is full of insane people."

His expression softens, his eyes conveying a deeper meaning. "I agree they are all full of hope and believe too strongly in happy endings, although that's not what I mean. I swear there is always something trying to kill me here." I'm sorry. Did he say, "kill?" Does he mean the flying monkeys? People?

"Then why don't you leave?" I would, if something kept threatening my life...Oh, wait.

His gaze becomes pensive. "There is someone in Storybrooke whom I've grown fond of...more than fond of." His voice softens as he speaks, revealing a vulnerability beneath his usually confident demeanor.

"Is it someone I know?"

Killian hesitates, a flicker of emotion crossing his face. "Emma," he finally reveals, his tone filled with fondness and uncertainty. It warms my heart that he trusts me with his romantic feelings. He and Emma would be perfect together. "She's...She's the Savior."