𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 22: 𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼𝓈 𝑀𝒾𝓈𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒮𝒽𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝐵𝑒 𝑅𝑒𝓉𝓊𝓇𝓃𝑒𝒹

We form a circle in the middle of the apartment after Mary Margaret and I share the news about Henry skipping school. And, like us, they're not happy.

"How is that possible?" Emma says with her usual monotonous way of speaking.

"You tell me. He managed to sneak past the Sheriff and Mayor, and they're both his moms," I say.

"We're aware," Regina chides.

"If he's not in school, where is he?" David asks.

"You guys don't think Pan's behind this, do you?" Emma says, making me want to roll my eyes.

"Of course not. He's trapped," Regina says, a flicker of irritation and impatience shining in her eyes.

Mary Margaret's forehead puckers in thought. "Why would he miss school? Where has he been going?"

"What has he been doing?" I say.

"It's not like Henry to miss school. He loves school," Regina says with a pained gaze, her posture stooped. This is the first time I've seen her worry about someone who's not herself.

"Wherever he is, we'll find him," David says, hands on his waist. "Emma and I will take my truck and check the North Woods. He might be hiding out there."

"I'm going with you," I say, firm.

"Bella—" Emma says.

"I need Henry to help me find my parents."

Emma shares glances with hers.

"Who? Aurora and Phillip?" Regina chuckles. "That's why she's still here? You haven't—"

"Enough, Regina," Emma says.

"Haven't what?" I ask.

"I'd love to hear this." Regina crosses her arms.

"Helped. We haven't helped you much, have we?" Emma says with an apologetic gentleness in her voice.

Regina smirks and turns her head toward the living room.

"No," I murmur. "Just Henry and Belle."

"You can come with us. Just don't get in the way."

"I'll stay in case he comes here," Mary Margaret says.

"I guess that means I'm going home in case he goes there instead," Regina says, heading to the door one step at a time with her arms folded over her chest. As she passes, I get a whiff of her sweet perfume, which smells like fresh-picked apples.

"Neal, what about you?" Emma asks the other man in the apartment. He was here the day I dropped off Henry. He has dark hair spiked with the help of gel, brown eyes, a light mustache, and a tuft of a beard—both of which have sparse grey hairs.

"I'll go with you," he says. "But we have to find him before those flying creatures do."

"Regina? How long is that—" Emma looks at me, "solution gonna take?"

Regina opens the door. "Until I've finished it." She walks out, slamming it shut.

I could let them go on their own, but I've been through too much. I deserve to know where Henry's been instead of helping me. Furthermore, Storybrooke has secrets. I deserve to know those, too. There has been nothing but mysteries and withheld information ever since I stepped foot in this town. If I'm going to live here with my family, the truth must be told. Otherwise, how can I trust anything or anyone?

* * *

The four of us walk through the forest by the edge of town. Brown and orange leaves blow over our feet while we crunch the others beneath our boots. Crows and larks ca-caw, calling each other in the trees, whose remaining foliage rustles with the strong breeze. The air is crisp and smells of pine. Or is it balsam? I'm not good with tree scents. And, yes, I believe it has to do with not being allowed to own a scented candle.