𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 21: 𝒜 𝒮𝒽𝒾𝓅𝓌𝓇𝑒𝒸𝓀

The salty breeze blows my hair. It's cold but refreshing. I sniffle a little and rub my nose with the cuff of my sleeve to warm it up. The air stings my eyes, which makes them tear. I let them. Maybe it's an excuse to allow myself to cry. Maybe not.

My chest is heavy, like the anchor of Killian's ship. The bell dongs as the vessel rocks. It sounds like a church bell echoing through town to alert people of a recent death. It could be mine. My hope, that is.

Why can't I let people in? Why can't I have friends? I try. All I do is try. I guess I'm not good at it. Delilah and I talked and laughed. We got to know each other, but I still couldn't open myself up. What's fucking wrong with me?

I blame Agatha. If she hadn't texted me, everything would've continued to go well. Perhaps it's my fault for charging my phone. It's not like I need it to call anyone. It's not like people will check up on me, either. But the system is looking for me. I knew they would. And I knew Curt would press charges. It's not a surprise. He'd have Chrys and Max arrested if he could—if it were possible. What Delilah said about Storybrooke not existing is absurd, but I hope it's true. That way, they'll never find me. I could stay here forever and begin anew like it's my personal Narnia.

I'm so close to finding my parents, too. There are people here who know them, like Ariel and Eric. I'd like to ask them questions since I let my pride get the best of me last time. I'll suck it up, get past the fairytale junk, and pull information out of them. I may not believe it, but I need to take every opportunity.

Sensing another human approaching me, I turn my head as Killian stands beside me.

I don't need this right now.

"How are you, love?"

"That's the million dollar question, isn't it?" I say as weak as I feel.

"You'll get through this. You'll be okay," he reassures, but it doesn't work.

"I don't know if I'll ever be okay. I don't think I ever was."

"This isn't the Isabella I knew."

"You never knew me," I snap, facing him. "Get that through your skull."

"Listen, love—"

"Don't call me that."

He bows his head, ashamed. "Force of habit. Bella. You have to look on the positive side of things."

"What's there to be positive about? I'm alone."

"You're not alone..." His eyes soften further. "You have me."

"And that's supposed to make me feel better?"

His gaze becomes dull, and he says in a flat voice, "You said we were friends."

"People don't always mean what they say. I thought you would know that since you're a pirate," I sneer.

"You believe that's what I am? I assume that means you read Henry's book."

"No. Because Henry's twisted tales aren't gonna tell me where my parents are."

"You don't need your parents to find happiness. You're forgetting to live."

"You sound like Dumbledore," I say, turning my shoulders toward the water.

"Who?"

"Never mind."

"We'll still be friends, whether you find them or not."

"No, 'cause if I don't find them, I'm leaving, and we'll never see each other again." His eyes glisten, but I say, "I wouldn't get attached to me if I were you."