𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 30: 𝒜𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓇𝓅𝒽𝒶𝓃

It doesn't take a mad scientist to figure out Regina hates my guts. A monkey could figure that out. But if I'm going to find my parents without Henry, I need Regina. Although, she's going to be pissed that I tried to host a town meeting behind her back. Maybe if I don't bring it up, she won't remember? You'd think she would've called me out or put me in prison if she did.

Anyway, I have to try the Town Hall. It's been a long time coming. Delilah influenced me to stray from it, but I need to get back on track. It's my only option. I keep saying that, don't I? But it's true, and every option seems like my only one. If I give Regina puppy eyes and quiver my bottom lip, maybe, just maybe, she'll show me some town records.

Standing in front of her office, I straighten the hem of my shirt and smooth out my hair. I have to look presentable, especially since she thinks I'm a high school dropout.

I tap my knuckles on the door three times.

"Come in."

I breathe out and open the door.

"Oh, not you again," Regina says from behind her desk.

"Hi," I drag out in a high-pitched voice.

"What do you want? To host another town meeting behind my back?" So, she knows. I'm already off to a bad start.

"No. And, on the bright side—for you—no one showed up."

"Because someone had enough sense to cancel it."

It's taking a lot out of me to not bolt out of here. I can put up with this. I've had to put up with much worse. I'm a survivor, and I won't forget it.

"How's Henry doing?"

"He's fine. Still grounded," she says, resuming to sort mail.

"I know. That's why I'm here." I step into the room, careful not to provoke the bear.

"I am not letting him help you."

"Actually, I'm here for your help."

"Why?" Her eyebrows form thin arches.

"Because you're the Mayor."

"Will it get you out of Storybrooke?"

"Possibly."

"What do you want?" she says, tossing an envelope on her desk.

I hasten to sit in one of the chairs in front of Regina and clasp my hands on the table's surface. "To look at town records. See if there's anything about my parents."

"I can tell you, right now, there aren't."

"You didn't check."

"I don't have to. Your parents never resided in Storybrooke. Therefore, they have no records." She's still playing that game? Nothing she says will convince me that my parents aren't here.

"Henry said—"

"Phillip and Aurora never once stepped foot in this town. I don't know what Henry told you, and I don't know why. If you are their daughter, start looking elsewhere."

"I have looked everywhere else. It's like they don't exist."

"Then why did you believe Henry that they're here?" I didn't. Not at first. I just... took the escape. But, now, I believe he's right. There're too many clues that they're here.

"I don't know. He was really persuasive," I say, my hands moving to my elbows.

"Was he? Or did you take it as an excuse to leave your foster home?"

"The fuck?" I say in a near whisper. But that's what I did, isn't it? Yeah, but I needed to leave. I had to leave. I couldn't take the abuse anymore. I couldn't wait two more years.

"Excuse me?" Her tone is firm, as expected.

"You don't know my life. You'd leave, too, if you were me."

"I think I'd be a whole lot stronger and tougher to put up with it."

"You don't know what it's like to have abusive parents."

She pauses, and her hands creep together on her lap. "I do, actually." Wait, what? "My mother. She was heartless. Literally. My father, I admired. I loved him. Long story short—they're both dead." She's an orphan, too? But at least she knew her parents. And I'm sure her mother loved her. It could've been a "tough love" kind of thing. Regardless, it affected Regina. It still affects her. Memories never leave once they're made. They stay. If they can't be remembered, they exist in the subconscious, and their attached emotions linger.

I think Regina may like me. Although, she has a weird way of showing it, like getting me a room at Granny's Bed and Breakfast. Not arresting me for breaking into the library, robbing Gold, or hosting a town meeting. Allowing me to stay in town, no matter how many threats she gives and leaves unfulfilled. But it's hard to say for sure.

"Maybe Henry didn't have any proof that I'm Phillip and Aurora's daughter, and maybe he didn't have any proof that they live here, but... I found proof here. People know them. People met them—are friends with them. This is the closest I've ever been."

She cocks her head. "And how do you know you're their daughter?"

I shut my mouth. Is it possible Henry found the wrong girl? No, of course not. That's what she wants me to think.

The heat from the clicking fire gets to me.

"Because Henry told you? Because random strangers told you? You want to know who your parents are? Get a DNA test."

I lift my eyes to her like she's insane for not noticing, which I know she has. "I'm a minor."

"I'll sign for it." She'll do what now? She'll sign for my DNA test? Maybe she does like me. Or not. After all, this will get me out of town faster if there isn't a match. But what if there is? I'll know who and where my parents are. I'll have a family.

But she can't be serious. She has no legal connection to me.

"Really?"

"If it means getting you out of Storybrooke, then yes."

I don't know what I'm trying to find in her dark brown eyes other than contempt. Why is she doing this? She despises me, and there is no hint of a light spark in her eyes. They're somber. But also smug, like she's always been.

"Don't you have to be a parent or legal guardian?"

"I'm the Mayor. I can do whatever the hell I want."

The corner of my lip pulls upward. Even though doing whatever she wants as Mayor isn't right, a sense of empowerment fills me. I'd like to have that power one day. To do anything I want when I want. To be my own boss. Tell others what to do and have them fear me. One day.

"Okay," I say. "Four today. You think you can make that?"

Her red lips smirk. "I'll do my best."

You better, since you have a ticking clock in here somewhere. "Cool... Thanks."

"Get out of my office." I'm starting to think that's her way of saying she can no longer be reminded of what she once was. So, I go. I know how painful the past can be.