THREE (RUBY POV)

"Watch out, Ruby!" I stop abruptly feeling my heart beating in my ears while everybody holds their breaths. "Raven, move them away... slowly..." The knives that are floating around me, one of them very close to the tip of my nose, fly away moved by an invisible hand till they land on the edge of the swimming pool neatly aligned. "That was great... Let's try with this sword now..." Maeve points at the weapon on the ground, excited, while I feel my legs shaking, relieved.

"Ruby, come and sit with us..." Lea and Zara wave their hands from the other side of the terrace. "We're protected by an invisible barrier and there's no danger that any of those things can touch us... Ouch!" The witch with short dark hair and gorgeous tanned skin looks up angrily while rubbing her head with her fingers. "Iselen! I fail to see the humor..."

"You've said that nothing could touch us there and I was just trying to check if that invisible barrier also stopped pistachios apart from knives." The vampire chuckles and swings her legs over the edge of the roof, several floors above us, eating nuts while I flop down on the outdoor sofa next to the red-haired girl who speaks with French accent and turn down the glass of wine she offers me.

A vampire... If they'd told me two days ago that I would be speaking naturally about the existence of vampires, or werewolves, I would've laughed hard... But there's no point in denying facts. I thought I was going crazy or maybe I was in a coma after a car accident, but I'm resigned to accept that I'm wide awake and everything around me is real. I've been kidnapped by a gang off supernatural creatures that are really kind to me but won't let me go till they find out how I got here. The problem is that I don't know... I don't understand what happened.

After filming two movies and going through a chaotic move to a new house, I decided I needed a vacation, but didn't want to go far away and, besides, I wanted to bring the dogs with me. Someone told about the beautiful forests in north California and thought it was the perfect place, gorgeous national parks with almost untouched nature, far from noise, pollution and paparazzi. I rented a cozy wood cabin, a bit isolated but with all the comforts, and packed my stuff. Everything was perfect and fresh air was delicious so I couldn't resist the temptation and went out for a walk, the cabin owner left a map of the area on a table and told me that it'd be easy to follow the indications. That's what I thought... at first... till I realized I was lost and didn't know how to get back despite I'd been wandering around for half an hour, no longer.

When I realized I was alone in the middle of the woods, without phone signal, and it was getting dark, panic burst in my stomach. I heard a noise and thought it was a bear, or maybe wolves, but no: it was a tall woman with short dark hair wearing ripped jeans and a blue sweater. I was so happy and relieved to see her that I didn't notice how beautiful she was at first and, when her friend arrived, a brunette with short hair too but with her skin covered with wonderful tattoos and showing a mischievous smirk on her lips, I considered myself really lucky. I was lost, it's true, but had met my new neighbors who were pretty and kind ladies living in a stunning house and who made delicious rice salad for dinner. Their friends looked like funny people and they had a swimming pool too...

Suddenly, those three weeks I planned to spend reading and walking through the forest, could turn into a different but very interesting vacation: afternoons sunbathing and eating snacks, chatting and laughing, flirting with a blue-eyed goddess... or with a brunette with warm brown eyes.

Till everything went sideways. I assumed it was a joke or maybe the girl with long black hair, horns and wings was a goth who took the aesthetic a bit too far, I think my brain realized everything was real earlier than myself and I started running away without a second thought... till I almost fell on the ground because Ru was running between my legs and barking and I remembered I'd left Chance behind in Terra's arms. I stopped automatically because my dogs are my family and I'd never leave them. Suddenly, Iselen was standing in front of me, winking at me naughtily while her long fangs sparkled under the moonlight and told me she was a vampire.