SEVEN (TERRA POV)

"You smell like a wet bat."

Iselen stops abruptly in the middle of the corridor and looks back over her shoulder raising an eyebrow, her dark hair soaked in water is dripping on her clothes and her jeans, also soaking wet, are creating a small puddle on the carpet. Not that I care, when you've lived so many centuries, material possessions don't make sense anymore and you start to give priority to the people that have stayed by your side... like this grumpy vampire. Besides, we can buy another carpet, I was getting tired of this blue color anyways.

"How much time have you been waiting to make that joke?" she asks smiling amused and upset at the same time.

"Many years... I think this is the first time that you go to sit down on the roof while it's raining heavily. Are you all right?" I frown, concerned, but she shakes her head and shrugs. "Stop it, bloodsucker, we've known each other for centuries and your poker face can't fool me anymore. What's wrong?"

"As usual, to much noise and too many perfumes in this house... I feel overwhelmed."

"The human smells delicious, doesn't she?"

"Fuck! You have no idea." Iselen admits finally leaning her back on the wall and, suddenly, she looks really tired, her wet clothes are ruining the wallpaper but I don't care: I was growing bored of that too and we can change it later. "I can feel her everywhere, her perfume, her blood, the scent of her skin... Every single thing she touches, in every room... I can hear her heart beating when she gets too close and it's getting on my nerves. But I won't hurt her, you know that, don't you? I'd never bite her without her permission." My old friend looks at me with sad eyes and I nod, I know she's worked really hard to be able to control herself and it's important for her that I understand she's not the mad with grief vampire that was seeking revenge killing wolves from my pack anymore.

"I know, Iselen, I trust you... with my life." The vampire sighs and nods, getting relaxed. "I've called Isobel and I'm afraid she is as confused as we are."

"Your friend the witch? The one who lives in Scotland?" Iselen straightens her back, clearly relieved by the change of subject, I know she doesn't like it when I get emotional around her. She looks so awkward when I try to talk about our... intimate relationship... or whatever we have, that I tend to give up before clarifying things because, well, I don't want her to feel bad and I'm afraid that she could run away or something like that. Sometimes I believe I know her well and some others I don't know if she's joking or being serious, I never know where I stand when Iselen is involved and it makes me feel insecure so it's better to leave things as they are. I'd rather live with her in this house being friends than putting too much pressure on her and see her running away from me.

"I told her about our problem and she doesn't understand how it happened or why a demon that appeared out of the blue attacked us. Ruby shouldn't have crossed the fence of the Wind Rose and she told me to find out if she's human definitely." The vampire fidgets nervously and brushes her wet hair away from her forehead. "You'll have to be very kind and ask her politely for a drop of her blood to try it... Come on, my friend, I know you can do it. It's difficult for you, I know, but it's not big deal... Repeat after me: please..." I emphasize the word winking at her and the vampire stares at me with her mouth wide open for a second before snorting.

"I'm perfectly capable of saying please and being kind. In fact, I could use my vampire charm and the human would fall at my feet mesmerized..."

"I'm not sure, Ruby's got a lot of spirit and she doesn't like you..." My friend looks at me with squinty eyes and her jaw clenched and I smile triumphantly in my head knowing that I've managed to manipulate her taking advantage of her competitiveness.