TWENTY-ONE (RUBY POV)

"What an interesting place..." Iselen mumbles taking a look around and Terra nods, standing in a discreet corner, almost hiding behind some big plant pots. "It looks familiar."

"It could be an Italian garden," the wolf answers. "Or we could be in the south of France or Spain. We've visited palaces that looked like this centuries ago."

"I think it's deliberate," both women stare me confused while I give them some drinks I got from the bar counter. I know what they like by now: wine for Iselen, beer for Terra and a sweet alcohol-free cocktail for me. "The interior designer tried to give this restaurant and rooftop terrace a Mediterranean vibe. It's pretty obvious that the colourful floor tiles come from Italy and the carved grey marble fireplace is French, there're lot of plants and small lemon trees in pots, and wicker chairs with blue cushions."

"But I thought that everybody loved modern stuff in this city, with clean lines and big glass windows, state-of-the-art materials that help to save energy and are eco-friendly... This is too..." Iselen hesitates and Terra smiles, holding her beer.

"Decadent and baroque?" the wolf winks at me.

"To be honest, it's elegant and decadent, romantic and bohemian. The image some people have created in their minds about Europe is a very charming continent but that's falling apart." The both seem to think about it for a few seconds before nodding reluctantly.

"Damn it," the vampire sighs wearily, leaning her shoulder on a wall while looking at the tall skyscrapers illuminated around us tonight. "I should restore that palace, shouldn't I? The building where I lived with my clan in Paris at the end of the 18th century..." she explains when noticing that I'm looking at her puzzled. "I inherited it after killing my blood father and it's true that the roof is about falling apart... It's been a century since the last time I set foot there."

"I've told you several times, you should sell it... You got some offers through your European agent," Terra growls quietly and I can't help chuckling.

"You behave like an old married couple. Do you really like it?" I ask pointing around and my girls nod. "Despite it's crowded."

"The light is dim thanks to these candles and fairy lights on the lemon trees and doesn't give me a headache," Iselen admits smiling. "And we're on a rooftop terrace, on the 15th floor, which means the stinky exhaust pipe smell can't reach us and the strong perfumes of the ladies in here vanish in the fresh breeze. I think this is the nicest place we've visited in LA apart from your house..."

"Hey girls, I've managed to steal a tray of delicious canapes from a waiter, I'll put it on this table for you."

"Thank you, Rob." The dark-haired guy winks at me before turning around to order more drinks. My friends are having the time of their lives on the dancefloor and they go to the bar counter to get more cocktails nonstop, in fact, they're the life of the party... which is weird because, even if they're funny and kind, they're also introverts usually and, like me, they don't like to be the centre of attention. I look at Iselen with suspicion in my eyes and she pretends she's not noticing it, drinking her wine while Terra picks out an Italian sausage canape from the tray and ignores us. "What have you done, bloodsucker?" I ask quietly and the vampire blushes slightly.

"Your friends are really nice but they were making us feel uncomfortable, they wanted to take pics with us nonstop to post them on social media and didn't leave us alone, so I manipulated their minds to focus on cocktails and music," she answers slowly, choosing her words carefully so I don't get offended but she shouldn't be worried about that because I understand her perfectly.

"That's because you're fascinating: pretty, educated, stylish, with old school manners... exotic. And extremely seductive, I guess it's because of the sensual aura that surrounds supernatural creatures and also the vampire charm. They also like your vintage clothes, this jacket is gorgeous, Terra. Where did you buy it?"