EIGHTEEN (ISELEN POV)

The human is a good driver, I think, I'm not an expert in motorized vehicles but she looks calmed, keeps a constant speed, she doesn't stop abruptly and the car doesn't veer. The truth is that I've been comfortably sprawled on the back seat for almost three hours and even managed to take a nap. My body needed lot of energy to heal my wounds yesterday and didn't rest well but I'm feeling much better now.

Ruby takes a look at my face through the rearview mirror and I smile in response. She's been doing that since I woke up on the living room floor yesterday evening, with my mouth dry and a terrible headache, which happens every time I'm exposed to the sunlight, but it seems to me that the pretty human needs to check I'm all right obsessively. I'm not complaining because I love when I get her attention, but I think I've traumatized her... This is not the first time my skin gets burnt and it wasn't even serious, but Ruby looked really concerned when I opened my eyes finally and saw her lying on the couch near me, watching me.

She insisted on checking that there were no wounds on my skin, sliding her soft hands all over my body till I felt drunk because of her touch and perfume, and she kissed me deeply, an amazing kiss, hot and intense, that tore a moan from my throat. I told her I would willingly spend an entire morning under the sun if she kissed me like that again but she shook her head, still worried, and got up to open the door for Terra who was carrying a big tray. The wolf had made a special breakfast with coffee, my favorite sandwiches and cakes and a glass of wine and blood. The smell made my mouth water and I ate everything at vampire speed... It feels so good when two amazing women take care of you.

Later, the furry plush toy helped me to take a shower because my skin still felt a little oversensitive while Ruby made sure that the ghosts didn't bother me appearing out of the blue in the bathroom. We held another meeting, this time in the library on the first floor of the house, to tell the witches, necromancers, the druid and the half-demon the news and to draw up another plan. Terra changed into her wolf form and ran to her former pack's campsite to check that everybody was okay after the fight and to get Wayne's address. I wanted to go with her but she didn't let me follow her, she wanted me to stay in the Wind Rose to protect our human, and was sure that demons wouldn't attack her because the Key was not with her. I knew she was right but I admit that felt concerned and tense for hours till she got back home safe and sound.

Luckily, Ruby still had the car she'd rented to go on vacation to the national park but the trip would be too long to go to Santa Rosa and back home during the same night, so Maeve decided to help her to find a good and discreet hotel and booked a room online in case we needed a refuge for the day. The witches promised they'd take care of her dogs and Terra got some protective charms from a friend, a very powerful sorceress, that could keep demons away for a few days. They're not as good as the magical barrier but will work quite well, in theory. The human also explained us what we could expect: heavy traffic, strong smells, noise, lot of people around us, even if that city was not big.

I was ready to leave the Wind Rose for the first time in years. Usually, the werewolf was in charge of going grocery shopping to a near village, but now she's found a new and better way of getting what we need helped by Maeve: they buy stuff online and parcels arrive to a farm we've rented near the nature park, even my bags of blood, and we carry them to the house later, where we have big freezers and pantries. Ruby is the first human I've talked to in long years but that will change tonight, no more being an introvert vampire... It's fine, I guess, going out and seeing the modern world instead of hiding in a refuge for crazy supernatural creatures.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ruby asks for the umpteenth time looking at me through the rearview mirror and I nod.

"Of course, babe, fully healed."

"The bloodsucker is strong, I told you she only needed to rest..." Terra replies from the passenger's seat, absentmindedly, because she's focusing on the map showing the route on Ruby's phone screen, while I lean forward frowning.