EIGHT (ISELEN POV)

"Come on, this way," I point at a door at the end of the corridor. "There's a narrow staircase behind it that leads to the roof... Be careful..." I whisper pushing Ruby gently so she moves a step back. "You could trip over one of those and fall on the floor."

"What are these crystal balls?" The pretty human asks confused while she follows them with her eyes till the balls vanish rolling downstairs.

"Don't pay attention to them... It's the Goblin King sending messages although he usually prefers to send a white owl."

"The Goblin King?"

"Yes, his name's Jareth, he lives in a castle in the center of a labyrinth and likes to wear very tight pants. We're here, let me help you, it's a sloping roof and you could slip down..." I put my arm around her waist, clenching my jaw when smelling her hair and her blood mixed with the scent from pines and the rain from this morning, this is more difficult than I thought when I accepted Terra's challenge.

I can be a gentle lady if I want and hypnotize any human with my vampire charm but this girl smells too tempting and tests my self-control every minute. Smiling, pulling a chair for her, pouring a glass of juice, holding her jacket and helping her to put it on... All these small tasks become complicated while I try to avert my eyes from her soft neck and it's getting worse, I don't remember feeling like this when I met her but I can't get it out of my mind now. It's been centuries since the last time I felt attracted to such a sweet bite... Well, except for Terra, of course. Werewolves blood is rich, thick, strong like the best liquor and my friend's blood is the finest of them all, distilled over the centuries through a lineage of powerful alphas. I remember I felt drunk after a few sips and a long night of hot sex...

"Sit down here, please." I try to smile kindly but was probably grimacing instead while sweeping from my mind the images of Terra's tattooed body and Ruby's tattooed body together in my bed and their delicious blood and juices on my tongue. I shake my head and decide to take my jacket off even if the night is a little cold, at least it's not raining anymore and the cornice where Ruby has sat down is dry. I flop down next to her and take a look around, focusing on the smell of pines and the wind that plays with my hair, the sun has set but there's enough light to see the treetops.

"The view of the forest is amazing," the human whispers next to me, swinging her legs cautiously. "But it's too high..." Her dogs are running through the garden while Terra is watching them and Maeve and Raven are training again near the swimming pool illuminated by the fairies. Necromancers and witches are sitting on the terrace chairs arguing about staying in the Wind Rose for a week or going back to their homes, the girls are worried since they learnt that demons are wandering around the earth and the boys think they'd all be safer in this house.

"Don't worry, I won't let you fall." Ruby smiles and nods, sighing and turning to take a look at the glass dome.

"What's going to happen now?" she whispers concerned. "We still don't know what I'm doing here or why a stinky demon attacked us and Raven doesn't dare to ask her family about those demons that are escaping from hell. What if the gates open suddenly and all the creatures living in the underworld come here?"

"That would be bad..."

"For humans?" she asks confused.

"For everybody," I answer firmly. "Nature needs balance to bloom: too many demons would mean too much negative energy and the world would turn upside down. Violent storms, erupting volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, fires in forests, droughts on one side of the planet while the other one is covered with ice and snow, pandemics... And concerning demons, not all of them can possess humans' bodies, but they don't need it because their wickedness is contagious if you're in the same room with them... I believe most of your people would go mad, becoming violent and murdering each other."