SEVENTEEN (RUBY POV)

"This won't end well, I should've stayed in the Wind Rose, probably, with the witches and fairies," I think taking a look around, feeling the tension building up in the atmosphere. After all, I'm only a weak human dealing with supernatural creatures with extraordinary powers, I wouldn't survive if a fight breaks out suddenly. Although my girls will take good care of me and, in addition to that, I'm the Key of Hell... even if that's not helpful right now.

The meeting finished hours ago and we said goodbye to our friends while I smiled in spite of all. Iselen and Terra want to keep me around in order to protect me, of course, but the vampire also swore that it was important to her that I could feel part of the relationship on an equal footing even if I'm human. They listen to me when I give an opinion, they care about my feelings, we can fully trust each other and the chemistry between us gets sparks from my skin every time they touch me. I've never felt something like this before, I've never had such a perfect relationship and, sometimes, I manage to forget that I'm in big trouble and only enjoy this amazing connection between us.

But later, I come back to reality and my guts get tensed despite the vampire always stays close to me. It took a long time for us to cross the forest, not only because it was dark and cold and Iselen was carrying me in her arms, but because my girls wanted to be cautious to avoid attracting attention from Terra's pack too soon. Now we're here and hostility drifts through the atmosphere, giving me goose bumps, some wolves are massive and growl showing their fangs although none of them are as beautiful as Terra; her fur, completely black, seems to be an exception judging by other wolves' color. The campsite is not that bad, it's clean and it's true that they all wear plain clothes in brownish shades, I guess this is more comfortable and discreet, they don't like flashy colors.

I wonder when Terra discovered her love for rock band T-shirts, crystal chandeliers, porcelain cups and silk curtains with floral patterns. Maybe she got it from her mother. Suddenly, I remember that her mother and little brother were killed by vampires and understand why everybody is staring at Iselen with rage and caution. I take my girl's hand and squeeze it gently while we stop in front of two tall men, one of them has dark hair and blue eyes, so similar to Terra's eyes that it's pretty obvious he is her father.

"What do you want, stranger?" The werewolves hold their breaths around us and dozens of eyes travel from the Alpha to Terra, waiting for her reaction. I can't see her face because she's standing before me with her back to me, very close, like she's trying to protect me with her own body, but I see her shoulders getting tensed all of a sudden and Iselen holds my hand tighter.

"I understand, so I've been officially disowned by this pack. No one told me despite you know where I live," my girl whispers with a neutral tone of voice.

"You left this family centuries ago. This is what happens when a wolf decides to betray us blinded by lust for a disgusting bloodsucker... and now you also fuck with a human, I can smell her on your skin. How did you sink this low? I can't believe you're my blood... I know your mother was an honest woman and a lady, otherwise I could think that..." The Alpha closes his mouth suddenly when the tall guy standing next to him puts his hand on his shoulder as a warning. The atmosphere is so thick around us that could be cut with a knife, Iselen is squeezing my hand so hard that's almost painful, she's probably trying to control her temper and not jump on Terra's father to rip his head off.

"How dare you?" my precious wolf growls so quietly that I almost missed what she said but I see her clenched fists and the tension in her back. I swallow hard, scared, when I realize this campsite is going to turn into a battlefield in a few seconds but there're many kids here and someone could get hurt. I raise my free hand discreetly and place it on Terra's waist, rubbing her skin gently over the T-shirt, trying to remind her what we're doing here and that this was her idea, in fact. The werewolf and the vampire relax their muscles slightly and everybody around us seems to heave a sigh of relief, except Albert the asshole who's looking at us mockingly along with his friends. I think Iselen should kick his ass after all.