FOUR (RUBY POV)

Trigger warning: suicidal thoughts. I don't usually do this but it was hard to write a couple of paragraphs of this chapter and I think they'll be hard to read too. 

Also... wink at jekyll23 She knows why... I love that tattoo... 

"You'll get used to this," Iselen smiles for a second from the other side of the table before taking another bite of her egg and avocado sandwich.

"Sorry, what?" I ask confused and fidget on my chair, the vampire makes me feel awkward every time she looks at me, I get the impression that her eyes stop for a split second on my neck where my pulse is beating and I can't help remembering that she can smell my blood. Everybody living in the Wind Rose seems to assume that she can control her impulses but I'm not that sure taking into account the way she looks at me sometimes.

"You've yawned... It's after midnight but you'll get used to this. I'm a nocturnal animal, for obvious reasons, and the wolf is one of those too even if she can walk under the sun... She prefers not to do it, usually, and certainly not in summer because it's too hot and she can't take off her fur coat." Terra snorts amused and nods while eating her chicken and bacon sandwich sitting next to me. "People living in this house end up adapting to our schedule because... it's easier, I guess."

"Otherwise, you'd never see anyone... She's totally useless during day time and, if you try to force her to get up for whatever reason, she walks through the corridor like a sleepwalker crashing against the furniture... She doesn't remember anything the next day." The werewolf chuckles drinking her tea while the vampire stares at her with squinty eyes.

"So that's why my legs hurt and I have bruises on my arms when I wake up sometimes... At least, I'm a fast healer."

"Terra! Sorry..." Raven apologizes immediately when I turn around, startled, I'm not used to see her wings and horns yet but this girl is lovely, shy and kind. "Maeve wants to know if you can help her in the garden. The fairies have built a ring with magical mushrooms to dance with elves but the dogs have stormed into the lawn, even the ghost dog of the hunter that has been haunting the old cabin in the back garden for a century, and now everything is a mess..." I get up, scared, but the beautiful blue-eyed woman puts her hand on my shoulder smiling reassuringly.

"I'll take care of this, I bet it's not serious... Chaos is something we face every day in the Wind Rose." The werewolf walks out of the kitchen through the French doors leaving me alone with the vampire who has finished her sandwich and drinks a glass of wine slowly... I hope it's only wine. I look at her suspiciously and she smiles mischievously raising her glass at me in a toast but remains silent.

"So... I could sneak in your bedroom in the morning and stab your heart with a stake," I whisper angrily. I'm fed up with this girl making fun of me and trying to scare me: I fail to see the humor in her jokes, to be honest.

"That's not a good idea," she answers still smiling but her tone of voice has turned serious. "When I feel threatened, I wake up totally refreshed and can become pretty... violent. In addition to that, the stake doesn't work, it's only a legend that people from Transylvania believe: if you hammer a corpse inside the coffin, they won't get up to drink blood during the night." Iselen rolls her eyes and smiles again, leaving the glass on the table. "If you want to kill me, you should cut off my head, burn my body and scatter the ashes under the bright sunlight... Obviously, I won't let you get close to me if I see you carrying an axe, I'm strong and very fast..."

"But not invulnerable," I whisper frowning. My hand has moved on its own will and I put my fingers around her left wrist where a tattoo is standing out against her pale skin. "Hell couldn't hold me..." I read slowly while my thumb rubs the scars over her veins. "I thought vampires were perfect, that they became more beautiful than humans and all their wounds vanished without leaving a trace."