No Middle Ground

There is a thin line between love and obsession.

Tiny needle-like shivers prickled the exposed skin on my lower back up to my nape.

He's here. And he's watching me.

Watching my every move. Catching on every word. Noting of every interaction.

I knew the first time I laid my eyes on him that he is the very definition of danger.

The first time he made a move I knew he is far from good.

And the moment he claimed me as his... that he is the devil.

My trembling fingers latched on to my glass of whiskey, lifting it up to my mouth and forcing my lips to sip on it even with the lump on my throat as I shift a little on my seat, using the glass to conceal that I am searching the crowd before me.

Another shudder runs up my spine and this time, I twisted on my seat abruptly, shooting a glance to every dark corners and finding it hard to breathe every second my eyes cannot find him.

"Looking for me, sweetheart?"

An audible gasp escaped from my throat, my shoulders straight off turning taut as he put his calloused hand where my neck and shoulder meet, stroking my nape and putting a little pressure down on my quickened pulse.

"You know you cannot run away from me, don't you?"

There's a fine line between love and obsession.

"You cannot hide because you are mine,"

Protective and possessive.

"My love for you is enough, isn't it, darling?"

Jealous and controlling.

"Now, now... breathe, my love. We're far from done tonight."

I breathe out air I was holding in since he touched me. And he made a raucous cackle that my body is very familiar with, we both felt it when I frantically shook.

They said I am strong. Hell, they thought I am unfazed. But they don't know me well, and so they don't recognize the devil.

Do prayers work when the devil himself comes for me every chance he gets with promise of damnation? I wish I was stronger...