33. not buddies anymore

narrator's pov.
rintarou's graduation.

today, rintarou was the one who had graduated.

it was a short (but expensive) flight to get to hyogo, but just like you said, you were there. he didn't want all your effort to go to waste, so he insisted on you staying over for a week or so at his house.

once his mom said she was cool with it, you had packed your bags and left miyagi.

"i know i've already said this like a thousand times, but i'm literally so glad that you're here," ami smiled widely.

"and i know i've already said this, but i'm glad that we're finally meeting. i've heard so much about you," rintarou's mom, misaki, said.

"what are we talking about?" rintarou walked up behind ami. he had been caught up taking graduation photos with his friends and peers so the three of you had just been waiting for him to be finished.

misaki had the proudest look on her face as she wrapped her arms around her newly graduated son. he returned the hug and mouthed "is she crying?" to his sister. ami nodded slowly.

"okay, okay mom," rintarou patted her back.

"i'm just so proud of you!"

"thank you, mom, don't cry please," he begged, wiping her eyes. rintarou's the kind of son that some of the other moms wished they had.

osamu snuck up behind ami and she squealed happily when she saw him. "hi angel," he greeted her, trying to give her a quick kiss on the cheek while her mom was distracted.

she stepped away, "okay, you can't do that, you're an old man now."

"i can't stand you," he whispered, squeezing her tighter.

atsumu made his way over to his twin brother and your boyfriend with a few others following closely behind. "hey, look who i found!"

graduated students, aran and kita waved and greeted the group with gin standing beside them.

rintarou's mom alerted him that she would be leaving now and told him not to be home too late before walking over to her car.

the plan for after their graduation was always to go out and get drunk at a local park — hopefully, with no one catching them. losers.

while the group assembled under a big tree on a small patch of grass near the parking lot, rintarou snaked his arm around your waist and gave you a gentle kiss on the head, "hi, pretty."

"took you long enough, i was getting awkward" you punched him lightly, using the other arm to wrap around his waist area.

"where's my congratulations?"

"congratulations, rin, you're graduated!" you said sincerely but in a sarcastic sounding tone.

"awww, stop, y/n! too kind," he joked, kissing your lips quickly.

atsumu was talking to aran but paused mid-sentence, looking over at you and rintarou "uhh, who's this?"

you looked so familiar to him but he really couldn't place it.

aran was confused. "huh?" he said before turning his head.