50. i've never been happier than when i'm with you

narrator's pov.

"why do you brush your teeth like that?" rintarou stared over your shoulder.

"like what?" you muffled, spitting out the toothpaste.

"it looks wrong," he grimaced. you elbowed him away and rinsed out your mouth. "you're doing it right but it looks so wrong."

you began washing your hands and you smiled in the mirror, "my favourite thing about you is that you have really good oral hygiene."

"so it's not my-"

"rintarou," you pointed to ami standing in the doorway.

she stared in at him, "hello."

"hi," he awkwardly stared back.

ami immediately turned to you, "y/n, are you still going to the store today?"

"yeah, did you want me to get something for you?"

"can i actually come with you?" she asked.

"i'm going with her," rintarou glared at her.

you looked back and forth between the two of them, "why aren't we all just going by ourselves?"

ami looked around the bathroom trying to find an excuse, "i want to spend quality time with my favourite brother's girlfriend."

rintarou sighed, "dad cut off your gas money, didn't he?"

"no, i used it to buy a burrito," she told him.

"all of it??"

"yes, and i can't pay for gas because i used my money on things you don't need to know about," she frowned.

"this happens like twice a week," he groaned. "you should've taken the dog walking job."

"hey, i may not be getting paid well but at least i like what i do! i don't wanna walk dogs for that mean rich lady."

"my mom's not that mean," kazuhiro said. the three of you jumped and stared down at him standing in the hallway. "why are you... in the bathroom?"

"we're having adult conversations," ami told him.

"i'm 6 now," he walked in. "can i join?"

you smiled at him, "course you can."

it costed nothing to include him in a random bathroom conversation and let him talk with the big kids. he thought it was great.

"ami, do you seriously enjoy painting with old people at the nursing home for minimum wage more than receiving 4 times that paycheck just to walk a few dogs?" rintarou squinted at her.

she scoffed, "you'll be an old person one day and you're gonna want someone to paint with you, asshole."

"that's besides the point, ami," rintarou argued.

"okay so unless you want me to steal your money for gas or almost crash your car again, i suggest you let me go with y/n," ami smiled.

"am i allowed to steal money and crash cars?" 'hiro asked.

"no, ami's joking," you whispered.