28. don't you dare repeat your homecoming fit

y/n's pov.
afterschool.

kunimi's walking around the auditorium getting frustrated at all of us. "y/n, mad dog, it says to put the balloon arch over the back left entrance, not the back right."

"kunimi, respectfully, shut the fuck up." kyoutani yelled. i could see the vein popping out of his forehead, "i'm this close to throwing this thing at him."

"yeah, you're only supposed to be helping. plus, i know where it's supposed to go. i wrote the checklist," i told kunimi. the sweat that was dripping into my hair was killing me, and he definitely wasn't fucking helping.

"none of you wanted to step up to the leadership role, so i get to boss people around for once."

yahaba sighed, "you know that y/n is the event organiser, it says so on the paper. and just because you're holding the clipboard doesn't mean you're in charge."

"this is my responsibility, 'nimi. i was literally the one who asked you to come," i laughed. "can you just help kindaichi with the backdrop please?"

he dropped the clipboard on the stage and walked towards the photo area sulking. "why didn't anyone show up anyway? it says there's supposed to be 12 others."

"third years are so unreliable and overhyped," kindaichi added.

watari scoffed "no one asked you to speak so shut up. we're only letting you in here at all because you're tall enough to clean the windows and none of us wanna do it."

i tried not to laugh, "watari, don't be mean. you're just mad that he's right."

my phone started ringing. it was my mom.

"hello?" i answered.

she immediately started up a lecture. "why does your physics attendance say 'justified absence'? why are you not in class?"

she's given me more freedom this year but definitely not with school. after tooru graduated last year, she became a lot more focussed on my grades being high. it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

"mom, why are you monitoring my attendance?" i asked, "don't you have a class?"

"no, not for another hour. answer my question."

"i'm organising prom, remember? i promise that this is the only day i'm taking time off of class."

"you need physics and missing a lesson was not agreed upon. i want you to have fun, but not at the expense of your grades."

"i already got accepted into tokyo, i don't understand why it matters so much?"

"oh, i don't know, y/n!" she said sarcastically. "maybe learning? knowledge? understanding basic science that you need for your field of study? knowing how to do your job right when you eventually get one? stop asking stupid questions."

"okay, mom. i understand and i won't do it again."

"good girl, i'm going now. the annoying student is knocking."

"tanaka?" i asked.

she groaned, "nishinoya."

"okay, mom. i love you, bye."

"bye," she hung up abruptly.

kyō tapped my shoulder. "hm?" i turned around.

"how do we place the tables?" he asked.

i handed him a piece of paper with the layout that i planned. "take this, i mapped it out."

he looked at it weirdly and stopped to count. "y/n, we only have 10 tables, not 15."