18 - Injured

"Don't make sudden movements" Ryki nodded quietly, huddling in closer to Crosshair. 

A nexu had spotted them, preparing to pounce at any moment. Beady red eyes reflected what little light collected in the jungle. Its body emerged from the shadows revealing its gaping maw full of razor-sharp teeth and the nexu's extended claws. The feline let out a guttural sound, making Crosshair almost leap into a fight stance. Ryki held on to his wrist and held him back, "Don't," she warned. 

The sniper calmed himself as her warning. "We need to run. Follow my lead" Crosshair leaned down to reach the mirialan's hands, much to both of their dismay. Slowly, he placed his helmet back on his head, the scope giving him an edge to see in the darkness since some of the mud had dripped off the visor.

With one hand firmly on his rifle, Crosshair fired twice at the nexu's head. The feline growled and charged towards the odd duo. Ryki was tugged to the side, Crosshair spotted two more nexus up ahead. He fired the rifle three times, illuminating the dark forest with red lighting, just enough to scare the cats away then dashed off in the opposite direction, dragging Ryki along. 

The cat roaded in anger and began to chase the commander and the mirialan. Gripping her hand in a tight hold, Crosshair effortlessly manoeuvred them both through the dense flora. The massive fungi like plants began to swat them in their faces, but it didn't do much to slow the nexu down. The rain only made things worse for the two as Ryki slipped on a slippery patch of ground, dragging Crosshair with her with their interconnected hands. 

Roars vibrated into Ryki's bones, snapping her from the shock of the slip. Crosshair spotted the cat just a few meters from them. Letting go of Ryki's hand, Cross took aim, calmed his breath and trained the rifle on their predator. 

BANG!

One blaster bolt landed right on the nexu's head and blasted through. The cat tumbled in its barrage and hit headfirst into a tree, a sickening crack could be heard. Ryki stared wide-eyed in awe and fear, finally realising how deadly the man's aim was. Crosshair smirked triumphantly under his helmet. 

"Get moving" The mirialan was yanked to her feet when suddenly another roar rippled to the darkened jungle. 

Two nexus emerged from the shadows, one taking a sniff of the air. The beast growled not a moment later after smelling the blood of its kin. As if they communicated in a language only the cats teamed up and began to charge at Ryki and Crosshair, one, however, taking a greater liking to the green-skinned woman while the third cat circled them menacingly.

Crosshair noticed this and instantaneously shot at the feline, blaster bolt claiming its mark right at the cat's heart. The third feline had hidden in the shadows behind the sniper and the woman, finally pouncing after its comrade fell. Crosshair and Ryki were thrown to the ground when the cat hit them in the back. Teeth gnashed and claws dug into the soft earth as the nexu tried to sink its jaws into their jugulars. Crosshair quickly swirled his body to block Ryki's, letting his armour take most of the damage. 

"Get... out of ... hear!" He ordered the mirialan. The nexu watched Ryki hurriedly squirm from underneath Crosshair lunged in to bite her but the sniper quickly jammed his rifle into the cat's mouth, the nexu gagged. Crosshair pushed back against the cat, giving the mirialan a chance to escape. Ryki managed to drag herself away from the man and feline who were locked in a deadly dance between life and death. The cat quickly overpowered Crosshair, its powerful paws pinned the man to the ground and its claws sunk into Cross' armour.

Both the man and animal struggled against one another, the former much stronger was winning. 

The mirialan's legs froze in fear of what to do. In front of her was a man who is supposedly her enemy and was about to kidnap her for the Empire. On the other hand, he was the brother of her friends.

She could leave Crosshair to fight the nexu. The probability of him dying was high, the probability of the nexu dying was equally. Crosshair managed to take down two of those beasts with ease but this last cat had some devil in him. Even the strongest men had their weaknesses.

A blood-curdling shout broke Ryki out of her trance. The nexu whipped its tail against the sniper's hand, effectively flinging the rifle away. Crosshair was pinned under the nexu and the beast tried to get a hold of his jugular. Both man and animal wrestled in the muddy ground. In a desperate effort, Crosshair used his hands to push the cat away but the nexu caught his hands between its mouth. 

The nexu threw its head wildly about, dragging the poor man with it, further coating him in mud. Crosshair grunted and shouted as the feline's teeth sunk deeper into his arms. The nexu claws managed to pierce through Cross' armour, blood began to spill through. 

Shaking her head, Ryki lunged for the rifle that was left forgotten. She wasn't a natural shot, still, she tried to mimic Crosshair's position whenever he used his precious rifle. Now she hoped that her self defence training would help at least a little.  Planting her heels into the ground, she tried her best to train the rifle on the cat and away from Crosshair. 

In the end, how could she leave Crosshair? The former member of the Bad Batch, or maybe still is deep inside. Either way, the boys would kill her if they found out she left him. Finally finding an opening, Ryki released three shots that found impact on the cat's neck. 

Crosshair flinched in shock as three red blaster bolts hit the nexu in the soft flesh of its neck. Blood exploded from its arteries and spilt onto the man trapped below. The nexu staggered back and fell to the ground devoid of life. 

The sniper let his bloodied hands fall to the ground, groaning in pain. He could not move as his entire body hurt. Parts of his armour was visibly punctured by nexu's claws. Warm liquid trickled from the torn flesh inside. His vambraces and arm guards were torn up, some pierced into his skin. Feelings subsided from both his arms. He was losing blood fast. 

Crosshair winced. Tiredness started to take him over and for once the sharp pain in his head seemingly disappeared. Maybe, he would welcome this lovely feeling with open arms. Wanting to sleep forever and escape the nightmare. One final thing the commander saw before passing out was green emerald eyes starring down sympathetically and fearfully into his greyish-browns iris'. 

Jagged breaths left Crosshair's breath. Ryki was still holding on to his rifle in a death grip, the hot barrel hissed at the rain droplets touched its surface Was this the rain-soaked, mud covered woman who just saved him from his untimely death? The one he was ordered to capture alive and unharmed? Was she really worth all this trouble? And most importantly-

 "Why?" he asked, panting. 

Ryki simply shook her head: "I'm not going to let their brother die," was her only reply. Seconds later darkness took over Crosshair and succumbed to the fatigue that followed. 

Two dead nexus laid in the mud, blood coating the ground. Crosshair laid like a corpse, unmoving but thankfully still breathing. The humid air reeked of blood. Ryki debated whether to remain there, knowing that the blaster shots were loud enough to be heard by both the Imps chasing her and the Bad Batch. 

She decided to move away from the scene a while later. The nexu carcass would only attack scavengers and other meat-eating critters. Puffing her chest, Ryki slung the rifle across her back and began to gently hoist Crosshair off the ground. She had to treat him quickly and soon before the dangerous flesh-eating Felucian bacteria claimed the sniper. Ryki let Crosshair's unconscious body lean on her side, allowing herself to mostly support his weight. 

The ground sloshed underneath their feet. With an arm draped across his back and supporting the sniper at his waist and another arm firmly supporting his chest to help him stand, Ryki hobbled deeper into the fungus jungle. Her last hopes were for the Batchers to track and save them. 

---

-Short chapter! I'm back in university and super tired with back to back classes ... heavy sigh...  I might be cutting down the stories to shorter bits from now on so short stories all around!!!- >> Adanna -