16 - Rescue and Hidden Terror

Darkness fell over the Capitol. Under the cover of night, the Bad Batch moved into action. While the others infiltrated the base stealthily, Ryki went to a secluded spot.

"Howzer, my friend. This is Ryki Taala. I hope you remember me. Please, meet me at these coordinates at 1700. I need your help."

Ryki hid between in the dark alleyways as troops on patrol passed by. Her cloak providing her cover. She reached the rendezvous point, a small garden patch just beside the Syndulla house.

"Ryki?" A hooded figure approached the meeting point. Ryki spotted familiar turquoise striped armour. "Howzer?" She asked almost unbelievably. The clone turned around, gasping.

"It's, really you" Howzer pulled off his hood, revealing his cropped hair and the well-known scarring on his chin. Laughing, she threw herself to catch him in a hug. Long time friends finally reunited. "I can't believe it's you. You're back!"

The two broke in a fit of quiet laughter. "Look at you. So many years and you're still as dashing as ever."

Howzer chuckled and released her, "You look not too bad yourself. How did you get away from your boss? Are you-?"

"Free. I am free." The captain felt relief for his friend.

"Still, how did you come here? What are you doing here, Ryki. It's dangerous"

How ironic, she thought. "It's dangerous everywhere. Especially under the shadow of the Empire. I heard about Cham and Eleni's capture. I'm here to get them out."

"Ryki, do you hear what you're saying. The Empire is holding them, prisoners, for even standing up against them. Mind what you say on Ryloth. The admiral has eyes and ears everywhere."

"I know. Howzer, what exactly happened to Hera's parents?"

Sadness passed the man's eyes, "Senator Taa wanted power over the people. As usual, they prefer to stand with the general. Cham wanted to embrace change, Gobi stood against it. Hera- She was caught in the middle. Senator Taa was assassinated by some other enemy, not Syndulla. Hera ran for safety. I am, not sure if she's still alive" At the mention of the young girl he once called friend, his mood dampened more.

"Hera's alive and safe Howzer." Ryki smiled and held his shoulder. "She is?"

Ryki smiled sympathetically. "Howzer, I know you're a good man. A good friend. We need to help them leave the planet. We know they'd be killed if they continue to fight for good."

Howzer blinked unbelievably, "Do you understand what your asking me to do? That is against orders. What about my men?"

Taking in a deep breath, she tried to reach out one more time, "Maybe some orders are worth breaking? Especially if they are wrong"

The captain was still not swayed. She didn't blame him, it was what he was thought, to be a good soldier. "Howzer, you men are loyal to the Republic and to you. They will listen to your leadership. The Empire is not the Republic, Hunter. You're free."

Sighing, Howzer meet Ryki's eyes, "Alright. I don't agree with the admiral myself if you ask me." That brought a smile to Ryki's face and she quickly thanked him. Howzer laughed, especially since he did catch on to the new name that accidentally came through Ryki's lips.

"By the way, my name is Howzer. Not Hunter"

The mirialan froze. Howzer chortled, "Are you, blushing? Is Hunter like you, boyfriend?" Her blush increased. "Shut up. Safe Cham and Eleni now, catch up more later. Deal?"

Howzer smirked, "Deal"

---

Sneaking into the Syndulla household was hard, with all the extra security blowing up and about. "There is an enhanced clone here, leading a special task force. Hence, the tight security."