𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝓈𝒾𝓍

Harleen's family stared at her while still trying to process her words

Harleen's family stared at her while still trying to process her words. Arjun and June stood by her either side while being her biggest supports. She was nervous, scared but having those two by her side was giving her strength.

"What did you say?" Harleen's mother asked. The smile on all the faces was faded already and the excitement in the air died with the reveal that Harleen made just now.

"I said we don't want to marry. You guys took everything in a wrong way," Harleen said again. "What did we take in a wrong way? You both were..." Her mother shouted and stopped while not finding any words to explain the scene that she witnessed that day in Harleen's room.

"Bebe, I was sitting on his lap. Fine but did you ask me why?" She asked. "Shameless," Dadaji shouted. Harleen sighed in annoyance. "You sit in... In that intimate position and say we have mistaken it?" He shouted.

"Dadaji, it was for a reason and we weren't exactly doing anything wrong as you are thinking," Arjun took a step forward to explain further. "Then what were you doing?" His mother shouted this time. Arjun sighed in frustration.

"Why is it so important?" He shouted all of a sudden while making Harleen and June jerk hard. "Is it too hard to understand that we are not into each other and we are definitely not going to get married so stop with that torture? We can't get married just because you want us to," he finished in annoyance. Harleen held his wrist and gestured him to stay calm. He looked away with irritation.

"Why?" His mother still asked while persisting. He closed his eyes briefly and rubbed them. "Aunty, we are fine being friends but nothing more can happen. It will just ruin what we have now, what we all have now. It will complicate things and make a mess," she said in an understanding tone again.

Silence surrounded the space as a few moments passed by. The adults went into deep thoughts while thinking about how they would make their kids understand. They are perfect for each other, this thought was set in their mind and they seem to be struggling to get with the fact that those two kids don't want to get married to each other.

"Do you have anyone else in mind?" Harleen's father asked further. Harleen sighed and looked at June. "Papaji, I have someone that I like but maybe it's against your ethics," she said while looking at him again and chuckled sadly. He got a little cue as he looked at June and back at her.

"June is your best friend, right?" He asked and others eye Harleen curiously as well. She smiled and took a deep breath. "I am not ashamed to acknowledge the fact that I am in love with June. I love her and I am going to marry her," she said while giving the biggest shock to her family and it was evident on their faces.

Harleen held June's hand and smiled at her. "It took me time to understand my feelings but I know them now and I won't be running away from them," she said as she moved her gaze back to her family. "I told this to Arjun and he understood it. He respected me and he supported me as well. I love him but as a friend and he does it too, right?" She asked and smiled at him.