Chapter 10: Welcome to Backupsmore

Y/N's POV
Orientation day.

I looked at Ford, who was looking at the main campus. Ever since the night that Stan got kicked out, Ford was much more distant. Hell, I barely saw him this summer before he called me up to carpool our way to Backupsmore. I sighed as I shouldered my bag. "C'mon, Fordsie. Let's get inside."

"Alright." He said softly as he took my hand. I blushed but didn't say anything as we walked into the building.  As we passed by other people, I heard whispering and and saw some of them pointing at us.  Apparently Ford noticed it too and started to loosen his grip. 

  I held his hand tighter.  "Ignore them, Fordsie.  It's none of their business." We entered the auditorium and took our seats.  I slowly let go of his hand and patted it.  "I know it's not ideal, but we'll do okay here.  Trust me."  I gave him a reassuring smile.  Before he could respond, a man walked onto the small platform at the front of the room.

  "Alright, I know Backupsmore wasn't anyone's first choice, but what we lack in prestige, we make up for in mostly bug-free dorms!"  He raised his arms like he was delivering great news.  "I'm sure your families are proud, more or less."  The man said the last quieter than the rest of his speech.  "Now everyone, when you get to the entrance please line up in front of the table where two RA's should be sitting.  They will help you locate your dorms.  Dismissed."  The man walked off the stage as all of the freshmen stood up to leave. 

  "Well that was short."  I stretched a little and looked at Ford, who seemed to be lost in thought as he stared at a picture of him and the rest of his family.  I laid my hand on his shoulder.  "Ford."

  "Hmm?"  He looked up at me with a downcast look on his face. 

  "The speech is over.  It's time to find our dorms."  I matched his expression as I gently squeezed his shoulder.  I knew he missed all of them.  Including Stanley.  Maybe even he especially misses Stan.  I missed them just as much, since they were like a second family to me.  I also constantly worried about Stanley.  I know everything will be fine but the things he is gonna go through... it's hard knowing what will happen in the future when you end up growing up together.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

  I sighed as I looked at my small dorm.  Apparently the person who was supposed to be my roommate never showed up to orientation.  I guess it could be a good thing, it'll mean I have a quiet space to do homework.

  I heard a soft knock on the door.  When I opened it, Ford smiled a little.  "May I come in?" 

  "Of course, Fordsie."  I stepped aside to allow him to enter. 

  He frowned a little as he looked around.  "No roommate?" 

  "They never showed up."

  "Ah."  There was a bit of silence before Ford spoke again.  "So what are your classes?" 

  I grabbed the paper off of the desk in the corner of my room and handed it to him. "Hmm. Algebra, Geometry, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, and..." He looked up and raised an eyebrow. "Art history?"

I rolled my eyes and took the paper back. "Architecture is technically considered an art form."

"Alright, alright. I meant no offense." He held his hands up defensively. "Do you want to see mine?"