Chapter 20

Chapter 20

    Willowpaw woke up sore. She felt as though she hadn't slept a wink. The Dark Forest is real. Even though most of the cats are super aggressive, at least I get more training there. She thought. Willowpaw liked how Hawkfrost treated her. He appreciated her strengths and helped her use her strengths in the best ways. And he lets me use my claws! It feels so refreshing to use them. Willowpaw thought as she padded out of the den. Bloodclaw wasn't making her get up earlier than everyone else anymore since her final battle training assessment. But she decided to get up early today anyway. I need to speak with Nestleberry, there's something different about me. It had been a moon since her and Icepaw became mates and she loved everyday with him. There's nothing in all the world that can tear us apart. She thought. Though, in the past moon, Otter had attacked a border patrol with some other rogues and had killed both Stormcloud and Brindleeye. Both me and Icepaw's fathers. Her and Icepaw, as well as their clanmates had grieved. Bravestar had also lost three lives in the past moon. The first two were to greencough and the last to a battle with Otter. None of her clanmates were up, except Nestleberry, the night guard and her. Willowpaw padded over to the medicine den, her stomach feeling heavy. Every now and then I feel kicking in there..She thought.
    "Good morning Nestleberry!" Willowpaw chimed as she stepped into the den. The medicine cat looked up from sorting herbs.
    "Good morning Willowpaw! You're up early today. Is Bloodclaw making you get up early again?" She asked. Willowpaw shook her head.
    "Actually, I wanted to ask you if you could check my belly because something is...different." She asked shyly. Nestleberry cocked her head.
    "Well of course! Lay down on that nest right there." She said pointing with her tail. Willowpaw gingerly laid down, being careful with herself. Nestleberry padded over and sat down in front of her belly. She began to apply pressure with her paws in different places.
    "Um, Willowpaw...You and Icepaw..Have you ever..?" She asked timidly. Willowpaw's ears flattened in embarrassment.
    "Y-Yeah..Only once.." She said quietly. Nestleberry smiled gently. She laid down beside her.
    "Hey, it's ok Willowpaw. You don't have to be embarrassed! This was a big step in your life for you! And most importantly, you should be happy, because you and Icepaw are going to have kits!" Nestleberry said, her eyes round with care. Willowpaw widened her eyes and smiled.
    "R-Right now?! I'm expecting?" She asked. Nestleberry nodded vigorously. Willowpaw glowed with happiness.
    "It's a good thing you're expecting now and not earlier. You guys are going to be warriors in just a few days." Nestleberry said.
    "And it seems you'll be having your kits in about two moons." She said. Willowpaw smiled widely. Nestleberry thought for a moment.
    "Stay here, I'm going to get Icepaw." She said with excitement. The medicine cat trotted out of the den springy on her paws. She's like a mother to me. Willowpaw thought. She waited anxiously and excitedly for the two cats to return. Willowpaw saw movement in the corner of her eye. She swung her head around and instinctively wrapped her tail around her belly. If I'm going to be a mother, I'm going to protect my kits with my life! Willowpaw squinted to see what had caught her eye, but there was nothing there. But then, a dark figure appeared.
    "Hawkfrost! Hey!" She said recognizing the shadowy warrior. Hawkfrost padded over to her and sat down.
    "Congratulations on your kits Willowpaw. I hope that they will carry on your legacy of strength and great skills." He said with a slight smile. Willowpaw dipped her head in thanks.
    "But don't think I'll lighten up on your training!" The tom said. "Don't forget what I told you to do. Do it today when you can." He added in a serious tone. Oh yeah, that. Willowpaw smiled sinisterly at the thought of the promise her and Hawkfrost made in their last training session. She turned her attention to the den entrance as he disappeared. She heard paws running towards the medicine den. A moment later, Icepaw came crashing through the brambles.
    "Willowpaw! Are you ok?! Did I hurt you? Oh, I'm so sorry!" He said, laying down beside her. He twined his tail with hers as he began to nuzzle her.
    "Icepaw she's not hurt! Don't worry!" Nestleberry said as she padded in.
    "I have to know if she's hurt! She's my maaaa-" Icepaw stopped himself realizing that they were still apprentices and were not supposed to have mates. She saw his pupils shrink in fear, and he scooted himself closer to her protectively.
"Icepaw don't worry, I know." Nestleberry said, her eyes easy with kindness. Icepaw sighed with relief, then stiffened again. He was about to speak when Nestleberry cut him off.
"No Icepaw, I'm not going to tell anyone." She said, guessing what he was going to say.
"Thank you.." Icepaw murmured, giving Willowpaw a lick on her cheek. She blushed and nuzzled him.
"Anyway, Willowpaw and I have some very important news.." Nestleberry said, her eyes resting on Willowpaw. She took it as a sign she wanted her to tell him.
"Icepaw, put your ear to my stomach." Willowpaw said. Icepaw looked confused, but did so after a moment of hesitation. She saw his eyes widen after a few heartbeats when one of the kits inside her kicked. He moved his head away to look her in the eyes.
"Y-You're expecting?" He asked. Willowpaw smiled widely and nodded. Icepaw smiled widely and pushed his muzzle to hers.
"Oh Willowpaw! I'm going to be a father! And you're going to be the mother of our kits!" He said, purring loudly. Willowpaw purred too, overwhelmed with joy.
"We can't tell Birdpaw." He murmured.
"We can't tell anyone." She added. Nestleberry nodded.
"You can't, or you shouldn't. Apprentices aren't supposed to have mates much less have kits." Nestleberry said. "I mean, it's great and all, it's wonderful really, but in my opinion you should've waited." She added.
"Well, we love each other and nothings going to change that.  And me and Willowpaw will be made warriors in a few moons." Icepaw said, standing up for himself and her. Willowpaw felt very grateful for him. Nestleberry just nodded, not saying more.
"Then Willowpaw, you and Icepaw are free to go. And Willowpaw, just be careful ok? Not too much battle training." Nestleberry said. Her and Icepaw got up and walked out into the fresh air. Him and her went to go lay down on the sunning rocks together to share tongues. As they laid down, she heard Icepaw still purring. She was still purring too.
"Willowpaw I'm so happy..We're going to have our very own kits.." He whispered in her ear from behind. Willowpaw turned her head to meet his muzzle.
"Awww look, Willowpaw and Icepaw are nuzzling each other. How cute." Direpaw said from the ground of the camp. The spot where his ear should've been wasn't wrapped anymore, instead it was healed and just a sore scar now. Willowpaw and Icepaw both turned their gazes to him.
"Shut it Direpaw!" Icepaw said sitting up. She saw him chuckle, clearly amused by Icepaw trying to be protective. Willowpaw said nothing, just stared down Direpaw thinking about her promise. You'll have more than just a missing ear Direpaw, you won't have a life! She thought, the corners of her mouth turning slightly into a smile.
"I'm going for a walk, so when Blackwing or Bloodclaw ask where I am just tell them I'm out. And when I get back you two better not be having kits!" He added tauntingly at the end. She saw Icepaw snarl for a moment, then he relaxed.
"If I could claw his muzzle shut I would!" Icepaw growled when he was out of earshot. Willowpaw mrrowed.
"Actually I need to go do something important, I'll be back later ok?" Willowpaw said, getting to her paws. Icepaw nodded and nuzzled her before she bounded down the rocks and trotted out the camp entrance.
She immediately began to track Direpaw's scent. Willowpaw actually saw him about five fox lengths away walking in the far off direction of the territory. Willowpaw moved silently over the ground walking quickly to catch up with him. I wouldn't have trouble stalking him anyway, but his lost ear only helps. Direpaw had been having trouble hearing out of his lost ear ever since the fight. Willowpaw smiled sinisterly. Today you will meet your end Direpaw, and I only hope that Starclan doesn't take you. She followed him silently up through the forest territory. Finally, near the edge of their territory, Direpaw stopped and sat down in a clearing surrounded by bushes. He's catching his breath, resting. Now is my chance. Willowpaw thought as she hid on the bushes to his side where his ear wasn't. Cold determination set over her as she narrowed her eyes, her claws unsheathing, she locked her gaze on his throat. Willowpaw waited a few heartbeats, then she rushed out of the bushes and leaped onto him. She pinned him to the ground, her claws holding him down at the shoulders.
"WILLOWPAW!? WHAT ARE YOU-" Direpaw yowl of panic was cut off as she dove down with her muzzle and closed her jaws tightly around his throat. She watched him struggle with amusement as he tried to thrash his paws and scratch at her. She would only close her jaws tighter. Willowpaw finally wrenched her head to the side and tore his throat out. She saw Direpaw attempt to make out perhaps a yowl, but no sound came out at all.
"Bye Direpaw..." She said smiling and snarling at the same time as she crouched in front of the dying cat's face. Direpaw didn't even try to react, or maybe he did. Willowpaw couldn't tell, for the tom laid still now. Finally, out of my life! Willowpaw thought, rejoicing. Oh and how good that felt to kill him! Now I need a story in case they find me suspicious..I don't want to get caught! Willowpaw thought for a moment as she started to clean her paws and claws vigorously. By the time they were clean, Willowpaw had come up with an idea. I'll come into camp pretending that Otter and his rogues attacked him and I only saw Direpaw as he was getting killed. Then I'll say that they left as soon as I appeared...And I'll say my muzzle is bloody because of his throat wound, I'll say his blood got on me. Hopefully this works. She thought as she began to drag Direpaw by his scruff back in the direction of camp.

Willowpaw came through the tunnel in a flurry of paws. She was walking backwards trying to drag Direpaw's body. She heard gasps from her clanmates behind her. Willowpaw pretended to be upset and disturbed.
"Willowpaw what happened!?" Bravestar asked as he bounded down from the high ledge, his eyes wide with alarm.
"O-Otter and his rogues! They attacked Direpaw before I had the chance to fight them!" Willowpaw mewed, her voice shrill. Bravestar's expression turned grief stricken and angry. Willowpaw saw Fawnpaw bounding towards her.
"Direpaw!" She cried out as she crouched beside her brother's body.Willowpaw bowed her head for the she-cat.
"No, no, no! Not my brother!" She cried out again. "You were the only cat I had left..." She heard her murmur. It's not like he was a good brother..Willowpaw thought. When she turned around, Bravestar had bounded back up the high ledge and called a clan meeting. Willowpaw, already having blood on her muzzle, took the liberty of dragging Direpaw's body to the center of camp. Nestleberry was already on her way over with herbs to cover the scent of death and cobwebs to stop the tom's body from bleeding.
"Today a terrible tragedy has happened. Our clanmate Direpaw has fallen victim to Otter and his rogues. Our brave apprentice Willowpaw says she wasn't able to save him in time, but was able to recover his body. We will grieve for the loss of this apprentice, who would've been a valiant warrior." Bravstar concluded, bowing his head. Yeah right..He would be nothing but trouble as a warrior. She thought. Willowpaw bowed her head anyway, not wanting to seem suspicious.
After the vigil, Goreclaw and Stonefur went to bury Direpaw's body. By then, Willowpaw had thoroughly cleaned her muzzle and when she looked at her reflection in the pool by the medicine den, she found no traces of blood. As she padded out of the medicine den, Willowpaw scanned the camp looking for Icepaw. She saw him sitting under the high ledge. Willowpaw quickly padded over to him, sitting down beside him. Icepaw wrapped his tail around her as she sat down beside him.
"Icepaw listen, I'm going to tell you something that is very important." She started. Icepaw's ears pricked.
"Please, please don't tell anyone. I'm only telling you because I love you with every breath and I trust you with my life." She said with plead in her eyes. She could tell Icepaw saw her pleading, and he held her gaze, waiting to hear what she had to say. Willowpaw took a deep breath.
"Icepaw, I...I killed Direpaw.." Willowpaw said in a whisper, not wanting her clanmates to hear. Icepaws eyes widened for a heartbeat but then relaxed.
"It's ok Willowpaw, I won't tell anyone. I promise." Icepaw said. Willowpaw sighed with relief, knowing she could trust in her mate to hold such a huge secret.
"That fox heart deserved it." Icepaw said in a whisper, gazing into her eyes with slight amusement.
"Icepaw, thank you. I knew I could trust you." She said getting to her paws and starting to walk away.
"Hey, hey! Where do you think you're going?" Icepaw said, a smile on his muzzle and warm love in his eyes.
"You're staying right here with me! I want to cuddle!" Icepaw said, pretending to be demanding like a kit to his mother. Willowpaw couldn't help but laugh. She trotted back over to her mate and flopped down beside him. Icepaw laid down beside her and twined his tail with hers, putting his head over her neck.  Willowpaw purred with contentment as she felt herself drift off into sleep.
"Good job Willowpaw, your first kill was a success. I will see you tonight in your dreams." The voice of Hawkfrost spoke in her head.