Chapter 30

Chapter 30

    Willowbounce and Icefoot were walking back into camp. They had been at their willow tree almost all day...Icefoot walked close beside her, his tail entwined with hers. Willowbounce had tried to forget her nightmare, and she hadn't, but rather pushed it to the back of her mind. Icefoot and her had just had some time alone and were quite at ease now. Upon entering the camp, Icefoot went off to tell Shadedpaw about the gathering tonight. It had been at least a good moon from the day of her nightmare. Willowbounce padded over to the spot under the high ledge where Icefoot would always be. A cool breeze blew her fur, and Willowbounce could see leaf fall was circling back around again. She had even noticed some of the leaves on the trees were yellowing already. After speaking with Shadedpaw, Icefoot turned and padded over to her. He laid down beside her and curled his tail over her back, giving her a suggestive look as he drew the tip of his tail along an area his claws had dug into earlier. Willowbounce blushed heavily.
    "Icefoot-!" She whispered under her breath in a chuckle. Icefoot mrrowed and pushed his muzzle to hers. She caught a glimpse of Shadedpaw staring at them curiously. She flicked the tip of her tail towards her apprentice, telling him to not pay attention. He shrugged and looked away. Willowbounce pushed her muzzle to Icefoot's and purred, drifting off to sleep against his soft fur.

    Willowbounce gazed around casually as she padded into the gathering clearing once again. Like usual, she let Shadedpaw go off on his own. She wandered around and eventually decided to sit near the front, or middle, of the crowd so she could have a better view. The majority of cats surrounding her were Shadowclan or Windclan.
    "Thunderclan's forests have been unscathed. No attacks from Deathclan have happened so far, but we're still on high alert!" Strongstar announced first.
    "Windclan has encountered Deathclan warriors the past day, but they have been handled with and will feel Windclan's rage if they come back!" Fieldstar said. Jeez, another leader gone...Willowbounce thought with surprise. Scalestar nodded after Fieldstar had spoken.
    "Riverclan is dealing with some...difficulties catching prey. There is little amount of fish, in which we believe that Deathclan has been taking our fish from upstream. We sent a patrol to check on it and they never returned." Scalestar finished. Willowbounce felt her fur rise in anxiety. Great Starclan...what have they done?! Willowbounce thought.
    "The cats that group was made up of were Spikepelt, Flightfur, and Orangetail." She added.
    "Skyclan has had an attack from Deathclan." Earthstar announced. Whispers broke out among the cats. Willowbounce only managed to catch one of them and it made her pelt prickle.
    "Why is Thunderclan the only clan that wasn't attacked this moon? Do you think they're working with Deathclan..?" Willowbounce lashed her tail in anger, but tried to ignore it. Earthstar quickly silenced the crowd with a wave of his tail.
    "Luckily, there were no deaths, only serious injuries." She said.
    "Shadowclan has been seeing...entities in the trees. Black figures sit in the trees, haunting us." Blackstar spoke hesitantly, like he was on edge. Willowbounce leaned forward, intrigued.
    "We are concerned that the figures are either Deathclan's darkest warriors, or...or it could be the Dark Forest." Blackstar concluded. Willowbounces blood turned to ice and her jaw hung open. This can't be happening! She thought, having to forcibly make herself stay calm. The whole crowd erupted into anxious chatter. Starclan save us all...Willowbounce thought.

    It had been a half a moon since the gathering and leaffall was in full effect. Leaves were falling, the air was colder and there was already a slight decline in prey. Willowbounce had been severely on edge since the last gathering. The Dark Forest...The name of the place that haunted her memories had echoed in her head for days after the gathering. Willowbounce had also noticed something...she had been putting on a bit of weight lately, which was quite unusual for her. And today her stomach was aching terribly. It was now common for cats from surrounding clans to be popping in and out of camp, helping out and just chatting. Aside from knowing that Shadedpaw had become close friends with a Skyclan apprentice named Grasspaw, Willowbounce hadn't really bothered interacting with the other clan cats unless they needed her. Willowbounce was not feeling good at all today. She felt hot and her stomach felt swollen and heavy. At the same time, a stomach ache was ravaging her gut, making her bitter. She walked by Shadedpaw and Grasspaw on her way to the warriors den, disappearing into the crowd of cats as she passed them. As she had made it into the empty den, Willowbounce heard a large portion of the other clan cats leaving to go off somewhere else. Finally, some peace and quiet...She thought as she laid down gingerly in her nest. She tried to drift off to sleep but her stomach was aching too badly, so she just laid there in hopes that sleep would come. A while later, the voice of Shadedpaw quietly called from the entrance. Willowbounce groaned in displeasure as a sharp thorn of pain shot through her belly. Her apprentice padded in to check on her.
    "Willowbounce!" Shadedpaw exclaimed, "We have to get you to the medicine den quick!"

    "Well she's pregnant alright." Mountainpelt said after feeling around her belly. "Two kits." Willowbounce smiled warmly and looked at Icefoot who was also in the den once he had heard she was in the medicine den.
    "Hear that, we're going to be parents again." She said wearily. Willowbounce was quite exhausted. Icefoot grinned gently and touched his muzzle to hers.
    "This time, you're going to be in the nursery with the rest of the queens." He said firmly. Willowbounce grinned at him and rolled her eyes like she was saying I know, I know...Icefoot snickered.
    "Now before you leave your stomach is still hurting correct?" Stormpaw inquired. Willowbounce nodded.
    "I think I may have eaten a bad piece of fresh-kill.." She said. Stormpaw went over to the store and came back with juniper berries in his jaws.
    "Here, eat these. It'll help soothe your belly ache." He said. Willowbounce beamed.
    "Thank you Stormpaw." She said before eating up the berries.
    "Good job, Stormpaw!" Mountainpelt said. Willowbounces son had pride practically flowing off his pelt. He's your son Icefoot, he really is. She thought, the young tom reminding her so much of her mate. Willowbounce then pushed herself to her paws with a heave, leaning against Icefoots shoulder as they made their way out of the medicine den. Shadedpaw followed them out.
    "So, who's going to mentor me while your pregnant?" He asked. Willowbounce looked from her apprentice to Icefoot. Her mate looked inquisitively at her.
    "You mean..you'd like me to mentor Shadedpaw?" He murmured to her. Willowbounce smiled warmly and nodded to him. Icefoot beamed with pride and joy.
    "I will of course!" Icefoot said, turning back to face the tom. Shadedpaw smiled brightly.
    "Ok!" He said, then bounded off to the apprentice den. Icefoot then turned and nuzzled Willowbounce.
    "Thank you.." He murmured in her ear. Willowbounce felt a tremble pass through her when he did that.
    "Y-Your welcome.." She murmured back. Icefoot then helped her into the nursery and made a nest for her.
    "Welcome Willowbounce! You'll have a good time with us here!" Hawkwing chimed as Willowbounce settled into her nest. She smiled at the old queen then turned to nuzzle Icefoot before he left.
    "I'll be right there if you need me, ok?" He said to her.
    "Same for you." She said. Icefoot grinned at her joke, then he turned and padded out.