Prologue

Prologue

Rainstripe laid on her mossy nest in the nursery. She closed her eyes as she winced from the pain of a push.
"That's great Rainstripe! Just breathe, and keep pushing.." Nestleberry said as she reached for a stick for Rainstripe to bite on. She placed the stick in front of the she-cats mouth and she took it. Rainstripe bit the stick hard as she felt another contraction. The cool morning air of leaf fall gave her strength to keep pushing. She gave a huge push.
"That's wonderful Rainstripe! You've got one out!" Nestleberry exclaimed as she brought the kit to Rainstripes belly.
"Stormcloud, come in here to help!" Nestleberry yelled to the outside of the den. A heartbeat later Stormcloud came trotting in.
"What do I need to do?" He asked anxiously.
"Lick that new she-kit of yours clean!" Nestleberry said. Stormcloud rushed to work on the small, light gray tabby kit. Rainstripe had another contraction and almost broke the stick.
"I'm going to need a nice, big push ok Rainstripe?" Nestleberry said. Rainstripe grunted, already feeling exhausted. Stormcloud had finished licking the she-kit clean, and had directed her to her mother's milk. He sat off to the side, encouraging his mate. Rainstripe gave a push, and another, and another. Finally a dark gray she-kit with darker gray spots slid out. Nestleberry worked to move the kit to her mothers belly. Stormcloud started licking that kit like he had before. Rainstripe didn't waste time and gave a huge push again. Surprisingly, the last kit slid out. Another she-kit with a pelt almost identical to her mothers, except her ginger fur was more vivid. Nestleberry took the job of licking that kit. Soon the kits were all cleaned off and nursing from Rainstripe.
"Well, what do you want to name them Rainstripe?" Stormcloud asked. She thought for a moment.
"I'll name the first one Willowkit. The second one is Dappledkit. And the last one is Splashkit." She concluded.
"They are beautiful and have such wonderful names." Nestleberry said. The young medicine cat then sat down beside the queen's belly to inspect the kits. First, she took a look at Splashkit, the youngest one. She laid a gentle paw on her back and felt for her breathing. She was breathing just fine and she was warm. Good. She thought. Then she checked on the second kit, Dappledkit. This she-kit was slightly smaller than her littermates, but she was breathing and warm. But Nestleberry noticed her breathing was a little shaky. I'll have to keep an eye on her...She thought. Lastly, Nestleberry laid her paw on Willowkit, the oldest kit in her litter. She let out a very slight gasp, almost inaudible, as a vision flooded her view. Flashes of blood and claws. Then she saw what seemed to be a Starclan version of the she-kit, but without stars...or a pelt. She was a mere outline of herself, even her eyes were just outlines! Nestleberry's ears were pinned back in fear as claws, teeth and blood filled her vision once more. As the vision faded, Nestleberry's ears were still back in horror. Rainstripe was looking at her with a very concerned look.
"Is something wrong with Willowkit?" She asked, her voice still sounding concerned even though she could tell the queen was exhausted. Nestleberry retracted her paw slowly from the kit.
"...N-No. She is perfectly healthy. I just had a..weird feeling." She said. Nestleberry couldn't bring herself to tell the queen about her terrible vision. Maybe that vision won't happen..She thought. Though doubt clouded the she-cat's mind as her faith in Starclan loomed over her. She gazed down at the sleeping kit once more. She looked so peaceful as she slept. There's no way that could happen...not to an innocent little kit like her...